Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Until I get a LAV...this is the best 1911 for the money. VIDEO

Feedback Score
    Agreed. I think it boils down to what you, Grant, az doug and others have already stated, it boils down to doing your homework and putting the effort forward to make an educated decision based on your needs. But i feel that we both can agree that there are varying degrees of quality when it comes to both MIM and forged parts, and that quality parts, regardless of whether they MIM or forged have a tendency to have a higher price point. Take Taurus for example when compared to a SA TRP. Both have MIM, but which one has the higher probability of success out of the box and over the long haul?

For me, I will continue to use only forged parts whenever possible, simply because that is what I prefer. But I am optimistic that MIM technology will continue to evolve to a point that all of this banter about it will cease to exist.

Grant, compliments are due where compliments are earned. Standby to standby, you keep rubbing elbows with the folks you mentioned (which I am sure you will at every given chance) and something is bound to rub off eventually.

Feedback Score
    Much like a 14.5''-16.1'' CAR gas AR-15. If you treat a 1911 right, it'll be fine.

One day I want to take the Vicker's 1911 pistol smithing class. I have a lot of love for that gun.

However, I probably won't own a 1911 again, as I cannot justify it for myself. I believe there are better pistols, and if I were to get a .45 it would be an HK.

But that doesn't stop me from frequenting the 1911 section of this board so I can learn more.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AirmanAtwood View Post
    Maybe the ruger I handled was a lemon but it's fit was that of a cheap thrown together gun. I feel ambi safety is a great thing as I shoot both hands every range session. Never found the locking systems in springfield guns to be an issue. The springer has the front serrations too which I think are a great feature for a hard use gun. From the Ruger I fiddle ****ed I wasn't very impressed with the thing.
    The store I work in has had a few come in, the first two were great feeling guns, but the most recent one felt loose. At least it was noticeably more "thrown together" than the last two...YMMV

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    President of Trigon Armament Inc.

FFL-07 SOT-02

AR-15 Armorer

Competitive Shooter

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    Much like a 14.5''-16.1'' CAR gas AR-15. If you treat a 1911 right, it'll be fine.

One day I want to take the Vicker's 1911 pistol smithing class. I have a lot of love for that gun.

However, I probably won't own a 1911 again, as I cannot justify it for myself. I believe there are better pistols, and if I were to get a .45 it would be an HK.

But that doesn't stop me from frequenting the 1911 section of this board so I can learn more.
    Pretty much at the same place, I'd add the M&P 45 with Apex trigger to the short list.

To the OP:I don't send 1911's or any other gun for that matter off that have a broken extractor or a bad trigger, as I have been working on these guns (Ruger, S&W, H&K, Glock, 1911's) for 14 years now. The parts in ANY $600 1911 are going to be hit or miss for hard use applications. In service hard use is a relative term, as an LEO for 23 years the hardest service any of my guns have seen is training classes. Larry's VT classes are not the highest round count classes I've attended but they are the highest on knowledge shared and maximizing your shooting ability. I am always glad to hear of low end price point guns making their owners happy, but knowing what I know personally that the "great" mass produced 1911 is an anomoly.
    My future's determined by Thieves, thugs, and vermin
    My rights are denied by Those least qualified
    Everything's backwards In Americana

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112