Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Until I get a LAV...this is the best 1911 for the money. VIDEO

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    You might have paid $550.00-$600.00 for one, but they're not available for that price right now. From what I've seen, realistically this gun is more in the $700.00-$800.00 price range. So my question is two fold; first, since it's this gun is not currently available for the price you paid, do you still think it's the best gun in it's current price range. If so, why; feartures, build/parts quality, other?
    Yes, in fact I do.

I know a lot of people point to Springfield Armory's 1911s, and I know they are good, but...I bought a SA Loaded and it had to be returned, twice, for repairs, the extractor broke on it after only 500 rounds through it, and ...I had to have the trigger adjusted down from 6 pounds as it came from SA.

I do however recommend people look at the SA Range Officer, which might be a good alternative to the SR1911.

But I really believe the SR1911 is a great value.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptmccain View Post
    "A far better gun." Not been my experience.

Out of the box, my SA Loaded had:

The stupid two piece guide rod, requiring me to use a tool to take it down. Waste of money. Ambi safety...waste of money. The trigger was over 6 pounds, had to have it reworked. Then, the front sight was screwed up, had to return it for that. Oh, yes, and the stupid locking system in the mainspring housing, had to ditch that, and replace it with what it should have had.

No such issues with the Ruger SR1911. Has worked like a charm, out of the box, with no modifications or returns to the factory, unlike the SA Loaded.

Oh, yes...the SA's extractor broke after 1,000 rounds.

Other than that, the SA has been peachy.

The SR1911 had/has a far better fit to frame out of the box and much better sights.

Yes, in fact I do.

I know a lot of people point to Springfield Armory's 1911s, and I know they are good, but...I bought a SA Loaded and it had to be returned, twice, for repairs, the extractor broke on it after only 500 rounds through it, and ...I had to have the trigger adjusted down from 6 pounds as it came from SA.

I do however recommend people look at the SA Range Officer, which might be a good alternative to the SR1911.

But I really believe the SR1911 is a great value.
    ...It went from 1,000 rounds to 500? While very low either way, once is twice as much.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Out of the box, my SA Loaded had:

The stupid two piece guide rod, requiring me to use a tool to take it down. Waste of money. Ambi safety...waste of money. The trigger was over 6 pounds, had to have it reworked. Then, the front sight was screwed up, had to return it for that. Oh, yes, and the stupid locking system in the mainspring housing, had to ditch that, and replace it with what it should have had.
    Did you actually buy that pistol? If so, why? All of those features (and the trigger pull) should have been apparent before the purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Feedback Score
    I've had a few of them on my bench.
    I think they are a VERY good value.
    Plus they are Made in the USA. Just up the road from me,
    in fact!
    Cheap-Fast-Good
    Pick any two.

Feedback Score
    I'm going to have to agree to disagree with you
    RLTW

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    Well, good for you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AirmanAtwood View Post
    Ruger 1911 for ~ $600 vs. SA loaded ~ $900. $300 more for a far better gun
    If you're paying $900 for a springfield armory loaded model, you're paying WAY too much. I also don't see how it's a far better gun. I own a SA Loaded and am completely unimpressed by the fit and finish of the gun. My kimber has it beat in that area. As far as functionality, it works. The barrel also puzzles me. It has a weird shade of coloring too it that makes it look like it's made out of MIM.

I don't own a ruger, but i have not heard anything bad about it. People seem to be enjoying it, not to mention the 70 series safety system seems to be something that not a lot of other manufacturers seem to doing yet and something that a lot of people are liking.

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    I paid $750 out the door for my SA Loaded, including taxes.

Had to send it back -twice- to SA for repair.
    Had to have the trigger worked on to get it down to 3lbs.

Waste of money, in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    I've had my SR1911 for a year, and soon after buying it, I sold my SA Loaded. The SR is everything I want in a low priced 1911(I paid $639), and in my limited experience, it's a best buy. I have an Ed Brown that I dearly love, but I can shoot the Ruger about as well, and I can buy four Rugers for what the Brown cost. Don't think I'm putting them in the same camp, just saying that I think the Ruger is a heck of a lot of 1911 for the money. Not the ONLY good buy in that price range, but a very good one nevertheless.
    Oh yeah, I would change one thing, I'd like one in carbon steel.

Skip

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    Bingo, Skip. Precisely.
    Last edited by ptmccain; 06-21-12 at 19:34.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast