Thread: > 5x Magnifier

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

> 5x Magnifier

Pretty sure such a thing doesn't exist. But I'll ask anyway:
    Does anyone make a QUALITY 5x or greater magnifier for an RDS? Ideally I'd like a fixed power 6x or 8x.

Now, this isn't feasible, because the magnifier would be too long to fit behind an RDS mounted on the upper, right?

Any comments or ideas welcome, even if you think I've gone full retard.

ETA: don't know why tapatalk interpreted my greater-than symbol as ">"
    Last edited by SMETNA; 06-02-12 at 23:33.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I would think you're correct about anything greater than 5x to be too long. You may run into some eye relief issues, unless you're running a monolithic upper and the RDS way up onto the handguard, but that's another topic of discussion. I always thought this bit of kit to be interesting, not sure if this will suit your purpose:

http://www.mylucidgear.com/magnifiers.php

Good luck.
    "We are oft to blame in this / 'Tis too much proved -- that with devotion's visage / And pious action we do sugar o'er / The devil himself."
    Μολὼν λαβέ | NRA Lifetime Member

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah a one piece monolithic upper/rail would work, but with the RDS that far forward, it would be almost useless with the magnifier taken off.

I don't understand the science behind lenses, so just talking out the ass here but, couldn't someone make a higher power monocular smaller by using some mirrors? Send the image through a couple bends, like a Z.

Feedback Score
    mounted forward makes a rd useless? Hardly, i would say. Think of "scout scopes" or ultimak on AK's. If anything it makes it faster to target.