Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The bed side weapon, and hearing protection..

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

The bed side weapon, and hearing protection..

I've read lots of threads about bed side weapons and different ways people are prepared to react when they here that "thump" in the middle of the night. What no one has ever talked about is where they keep hearing protection, or if they even bother to have it on hand. In a rush, I don't' think shoving in earplugs is timely. Electronic ear muffs would be the easiest and may even add to my ability to detect the whereabouts of intruders. Anyone else concerned about ear protection in a home invasion scenario? What's more, how about ear protection for your wife and or children? The long term affect to one's hearing from gun shots outdoors is bad enough. Indoors, the sound affect will be multiplied. Just thinking, how prepared are you?
    Here in America we are descended in spirit from revolutionists and rebels - men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower, address, Columbia University, 31 May 1954

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Hard to imagine, over the course of a lifetime, firing enough shots at home intruders to have a significant long term effect on hearing, you or your family.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I keep my Sordins on top of whatever my rifle is leaned against, nightstand/coffee table etc. I also keep ear plugs in my stocks AA storage, helps keep them from rattling. I seriously doubt I would think about my ears if my door gets kicked in. IF I had the time(unlikely)to use ear pro in a HD situation I would, so I keep them handy. There is another thread around here somewhere on this subject.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    Under times of duress, I'm not sure I'd have time to put them on. In a lot of cases where a person used his gun, they often don't even remember the sound. That's not to say it doesn't do any physical damage but I think the shooter would rather have the best situational awareness possible.

The military doesn't use earplugs during combat for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    For a single possible Home defense deployment of a firearm I would not be worried about hearing protection for myself. If the wife and kids are in the safe room with me then they can simply just place a open hand over each ear which will muffle the gunshot report the ear is exposed to.

I would be more worried about possible in coming fire and how I would shield my family against such.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Hard to imagine, over the course of a lifetime, firing enough shots at home intruders to have a significant long term effect on hearing, you or your family.

This. I will take the chance at slightly damaging my long term hearing for more situational awareness during a home invasion situation. (Not like my left ear isnt half deaf from not wearing ear protection at ranges already. Stupid me)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Google "auditory exclusion."

Excellent discussion of the phenomena in Lt. Col. Dave Grossman's book "On Combat: The Psychology and Physiology of Deadly Conflict in War and in Peace."

http://www.amazon.com/Combat-Psychol...8770487&sr=8-5

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    1) I want to be ready as fast as possible, extra gear would slow my response. Pistol with X300 is ready.

2) I want my senses to be as sharp as possible, I do NOT want plugs or other devices that would hinder my ability to hear what is going on and where. Eletronic earpro, see #1

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    I would think that being able to suppress the threat and keep you and your loved ones alive and safe would be the bigger issue on your mind versus...should I wear earpro?
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    Pistol+supressor= best of both worlds.

Also, not just less noise, way less flash with a suppressor.
    Last edited by lowepg; 06-03-12 at 20:26.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast