Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best cot for camping

Feedback Score

Best cot for camping

My son is off to boy scout summer camp soon and I was thinking about buying him a cot this year. What are some good options for a fold up to carry on a backpack cot? Price is a consideration.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    you want him to be able to pack this? I don't know of any that are packable - at least easily. in that case I would look at a hammock or my favorite, an inflatable air mattress...

I use two, depending... one is a 2.5" Big Agnes AirCore for summer and light hikes. small pack size and light weight this fits the light bag/bivy concept well but is not .

the "Cadillac" is a 3.5" Exped Synmat 9. it is wider/thicker and is filled with synthetic insulation with an R-value of 6, which makes it warmer in cold weather. I sleep like a baby on this...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have a fantastic cot from Cabelas. The thing is bomb proof and comfortable. That being said I use that only when carrying it is not going to be farther than a hundred yards or so. The thing is heavy!! Backpack camping I use a thermarest pad, and they are great.
    http://m.backcountry.com/therm-a-res...o-sleeping-pad
    Pretty sure that is the one I have.
    Last edited by Gadsden11; 06-04-12 at 19:03.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    you want him to be able to pack this? I don't know of any that are packable - at least easily. in that case I would look at a hammock or my favorite, an inflatable air mattress...

I use two, depending... one is a 2.5" Big Agnes AirCore for summer and light hikes. small pack size and light weight this fits the light bag/bivy concept well but is not .

the "Cadillac" is a 3.5" Exped Synmat 9. it is wider/thicker and is filled with synthetic insulation with an R-value of 6, which makes it warmer in cold weather. I sleep like a baby on this...
    They have a cot at sportsmans wholesale that breaks down and uses pole simular to a tent but I wasn't sure about the quality and neither was the salesman on duty at the time.
    I think I will check into the self inflating sleeping pads that you are reccomending.
    Last edited by hotbiggun42; 06-04-12 at 22:13.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You'd be better off buying him a Therm-a-rest pad, and not a cot. Cots are a pain to tote around and set up but a pad on the other hand is compact and can make an improvement to any sleeping area.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is a Hammock out? depending on the setup of the camp/trip/etc.. they have every thing to traditional hammock (dont forget the net!!) to hammock tents. Just a thought.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    OP, I would highly recommend a packable air mattress as well. If cots are already provided for them at camp he could just lay it on top, if needed. Plus he would be able to use it much more often than a cot.

I've been very happy with my Therm-A-Rest NeoAir.

Someone mentioned Big Agnes - Campmor is having a sale on those:
    http://www.campmor.com/gear/sleeping...0&cm_ven=EMAIL

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    ThermaRest and similar pads are the way to go. Packing a cot would create needless weight.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    Is a Hammock out? depending on the setup of the camp/trip/etc.. they have every thing to traditional hammock (dont forget the net!!) to hammock tents. Just a thought.
    I mentioned the hammock earlier and I specifically had the Hennessey hammock in mind but they can be pricey (good stuff always is)...

since he is looking at this for his son, they make a Scout model that is a little shorter and is currently on sale

http://www.rei.com/product/799604/he...lassic-hammock
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I've got a question. Most Scout summer camps I've been to the scouts stay in either tents they set up at the camp or cabins of some type. Is this what is happening in this case or not?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast