Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Legalize semi auto for hunting in PA

Feedback Score

Question Legalize semi auto for hunting in PA

Is there a serious effort to get semi auto legalized for hunting in PA? I've seen a couple of bills brought up nominally but nothing seems to be happening with them. Who can I work with to get it passed? I see that there's a Sunday hunting coalition which I'll also gladly support, but what about this? I just spent a year in California then 3 in New York and am hoping to enjoy freedom again. In a supposedly pro gun state shouldn't this be a no brainer?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    Get that only flintlock during muzzle loader season fixed too.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    That one seems to be a sacred cow here for some reason. I have never been able to figure out the logic. States that are far more restrictive in many aspects allow semi auto but we don't. Every effort to introduce it seems to meet serious opposition.

I would love to see this come about too but I am not holding my breath.
    Last edited by TommyG; 06-06-12 at 19:39. Reason: spelling
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    Sounds like we need to get more vocal and more organized.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    It is an uphill battle. Much of the opposition to semi autos for hunting comes from hunters and other gun owners so we are our own worst enemy in a sense.

I am not trying to discourage you but bear in mind that it is hard to get legislators to pay attention to a narrow and unpopular issue. You will not likely see a lot of support from large gun lobby groups as they are divided on the issue or don't want to spend precious political capital on that issue.

I agree with you, it really is silly but it just does not seem to be enough of an issue to get serious attention.
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    OK, so the first part of the task is to make it more popular with gun owners and hunters. That we can do because we do have established channels to make that happen.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyG View Post
    It is an uphill battle. Much of the opposition to semi autos for hunting comes from hunters and other gun owners so we are our own worst enemy in a sense.
    Indeed. I've never owned a revolver, and have only recently bought a bolt action rifle. I can say, every time I've gone to a public range, some knucklehead will come up to me and say, "what cha gonna do with that? Can't hunt with it."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone_Ranger View Post
    Indeed. I've never owned a revolver, and have only recently bought a bolt action rifle. I can say, every time I've gone to a public range, some knucklehead will come up to me and say, "what cha gonna do with that? Can't hunt with it."
    "**** hunting! It's animal cruelity! I can go to the grocery store any day of the week!"

That usuallys shuts them up as they are too busy picking up the pieces of their sacred cow.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    It is precisely that ignorance on their part which I want to do everything I possibly can to eradicate.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Just remember, that knucklehead is the guy/gal that you are going to need lobying their legislator for you to get something like this changed. Make nice with them and educate them on what a great ergonomic platform the AR is, some of the "hunting" calibers that the AR is available in and how many other states allow semi auto for hunting. Show them how you can have one lower several uppers for different applications, etc.

They probably have images of youtube commandos in the woods on the first day of buck season with an AK and a bandolier of mags looking to spray lead everywhere. We are the only ones who can change that.
    Open the pig!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast