Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Legalize semi auto for hunting in PA

Feedback Score
    My x-wife's family is just north of Pittsburgh and I have hunted there often. Their idea of what the 2nd Amendment purpose in the Constitution is to keep the government from taking there hunting rifles. They could give a shit about all the "other guns" out there.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Feedback Score
    I never meant to imply that it couldn't be done. Just that it's an uphill battle. My family is rooted in PA and spread around several counties.....most of them that I talk to at the reunions have no use for semi's for hunting. Even cousins and nephews/nieces who have spent time in the sand. They all seem to be quite content with the bolt actions.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyG View Post
    You make a good point, and I agree with you. I will be interested to see how your effort to advance the issue takes shape.
    Thanks. As I'm working on this, doing a point by point list and writing out concepts for flyers, ads for publications, hunter education snippets, etc., I have to ask: Does anyone here know of prior efforts that have sought to get this problem solved in a methodical, systematic, well thought out manner? I.e. did the previous people who tried have a real plan in the same sense you would run a business, teach a school course, run a political campaign, or cure a disease? This is very much like all of those things.

Example, curing a contagious disease, which shares much in common with the belief in a bad idea, in this case the idea against using semi autos for hunting:

A. Identify and understand the disease itself: symptoms, life cycle (how long it takes to run its course), etc.
    B. Identify who or what, where and when the disease is acquired (age, location, occupation, daily activities of them)
    C. Identify the specific pathogen--fungus, virus, bacteria, chemical, etc.--and study it, learn how it behaves
    D. Identify the vector which transmits the disease
    E. Figure out a way or better yet many ways to minimize the transmission of the disease, e.g. reduce the numbers of the vector (mosquitoes for malaria, for example)
    F. Inquire as to known remedies, successful and not, for the disease itself and others similar to it
    G. Quarantine/isolate the infected ones to contain the existing cases of the disease and treat them
    H. Develop habit adaptations for the populations susceptible to the disease to adopt in order to minimize and prevent further future incidence of the disease.
    Last edited by yellowfin; 06-10-12 at 22:25.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    I've approached PA game wardens and asked if our state was ever going to join the rest of the country in the 21st century?

I always get the same stupid canned reply "Use of semi autos will only result in irresponsible shotting and more wounded game!!!" To which i give my canned reply "Prove it!! Other states limit semi's to 3 to 5 round mags, quiker followups would mean less wounded game gets away while Elmer fudd works the bolt!!! Besides how many wounded animals get away because Mortimer is too damn lazy to track it?"

My M1A is begging for a good hunt!!

Feedback Score
    SuperiorDG, I feel your pain, i can usually take or leave hunting.

I had a guy try that with me at the range "Why do you need one of those? I think those should be banned!!!"

My reply "Hey S#!% H#@& , we're all in the fight together, if you don't help me keep my guns from being taken, then don't get all A$$ Chapped if i don't show up to help you keep yours or you see me laugh at you when you walk up to turn in ol' betsy!!!"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorDG View Post
    My x-wife's family is just north of Pittsburgh and I have hunted there often. Their idea of what the 2nd Amendment purpose in the Constitution is to keep the government from taking there hunting rifles. They could give a shit about all the "other guns" out there.
    It is slowly changing. There are more black rifles than ever in Pittsburgh.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There are a lot of Fudds in PA. I don't understand the rationale of not being able to hunt with an AR, SKS or semi-auto hunting rifle. We have to remember that PA is a northeast/mid-atlantic state with all the baggage that comes from liberal attitudes in and surrounding the state. PA is one of the only states in the region that has decent CCW laws, where you can carry in a big city with a permit. Still sucks though.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I hunt both NY. and PA. I also use the public ranges in PA. even with their silly 10 or 5 round restrictions. I haven't really had the same experience as the other posters. I usually hear how others wished they could hunt with semi-auto's and how they might get an AR if they could at least hunt coyote's with them. Yea you do have the ones who think semi-auto's are "less accurate" than their bolt guns, while shooting 2" groups at a whopping 100 yards. I honestly don't think FUDDS, as a whole, give a shit what the other guy uses. Wait what exactly is a FUDD? are we talking Elmer or Old dude?

Feedback Score
    It would be great; unfortunately I can't see them changing the law.

BLUF: The average fudd deer hunter lacks firearms discipline.

Most check their sight in the Sunday after Thanksgiving. They never practice, fire the first shot and then resort to the 2nd, 3rd, and then 4th shot while the animal is on the run.

Have you guys ever been out on opening day and listened to the shots around you? I mean holy cow.

I can't imagine them with an AR or M1A changing out magazines to bag their button buck. I love when you hear guys complain about not seeing any big bucks, but talk about the spike they got. Way too much of "if it's brown it's down" attitude.

I'd love to be able to get set up with my SPR in the spring to shoot groundhogs.
    Last edited by Aegis; 01-06-13 at 10:45.

Feedback Score
    Pennsylvania Game Commission =

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123