Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Entry level .308?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rackham1 View Post
    A couple of you mentioned "hs stock". Is that the brand (H-S Precision, I guess?) or some other acronym?

Sorry if a dumb question... I'm following this thread for the same pre-newbie reasons as the OP, and I'm not tracking on that term. Thanks.

ETA: I just read back over and noticed where Pappabear wrote "HS PRECISION" so now I get it. Disregard.
    H-S Precision the company.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    New question, though... looks like there are a crap ton of different HS stocks to choose from and they're all spendy. Considering the OP's purpose, which one are you guys (Pappabear, orkan, maybe others) thinking of when you recommended the HS stock?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rackham1 View Post
    New question, though... looks like there are a crap ton of different HS stocks to choose from and they're all spendy. Considering the OP's purpose, which one are you guys (Pappabear, orkan, maybe others) thinking of when you recommended the HS stock?
    You can sometimes find "takeoffs," where people are replacing the HS stocks that come on factory guns with even more expensive options. You can save a good deal of money by watching the Equipment Exchanges on various sites for these "takeoffs."
    Last edited by a0cake; 08-01-12 at 15:51.

Feedback Score
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6...CE-RIFLE-STOCK

There's one option.

If you can afford it, go with a Manners. Incredible stocks.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    Orkan,

Any opinion about Manners vs some of the chassis systems out there?

I've been going back and forth between a T2 and Roedale RCS II (this rifle is a Howa). End cost, the Manners will be more after bedding and CDI bottom metal- and it will probably be heavier. The RCS uses viper skins and ends up lighter.

To my limited knowledge, it would make more sense to go with the chassis and be done with it. But there's just something about a nice traditional looking rifle stock that keeps tugging at me.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    look into manners "mini chassis"

manners stocks are also custom ordered. i could be wrong but i think you can spec up to something silly like 90% carbon fiber fill. believe me, you can get them lightweight. this is possible because manners stocks are actually a shell with fill, where others are just the fill, so manners can still maintain strength with lightweight fill.

Feedback Score
    Mini chassis is only available for Rem 700 clones. They will custom inlet for just about everything else, but it will require a proper bedding job.

The decision to not have the Rem was a long drawn out one for me. The lack of goodies was a concern, but one I chose to look past since the important goodies were indeed available- just not in huge variety.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    The chassis systems get heavy fast. They are good, but lots of other considerations.

For instance, a mcree turns into a popsicle in the winter. ... and even though they say you don't need to bed them, I end up doing it anyway. Nothing shoots like a properly bedded rifle... in any stock.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    yeah, there's a good bit of debate about that but my new build is going into an XLR chassis and i'm having it bedded.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    yeah, there's a good bit of debate about that
    Indeed there is. The debate seems to be from those that don't really know. Funny how that works eh?

I once did a test with my AICS chassis. I unbolted it and re-torqued 20 times, and test fired after each. I could identify 3 different and very specific points of impact. Sometimes when you torque down an AICS, the magazine gets sticky, and you can feel the pressure when you throw the bolt. I've NEVER had that happen with a properly bedded rifle.

I bedded the AICS and never had a single issue again.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast