Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Entry level .308?

Feedback Score
    First, I see a lot of people are getting sound advice so I'm really glad I asked for the community's help and very appreciative that you all responded.

So Saturday was the test. Having shot the 700 (thanks again 1911Pro) I wanted to see how comparable it was to the Savage. The Savage rep had a trunk full of Hornady ammunition. I shot the 110 in .308 with the detachable box magazine, threaded barrel, Accu-trigger, and a fugly digi-cam stock. Also spent a good bit of time behind the BA in .300 Win Mag.

Orkan... now I get what you were saying. The trigger was set heavier on the .308 than on the .300 but they were both finicky and I didn't like the feel. Several times I had to lift the bolt handle straight up and slowly bring it back down because the trigger was dead. If you didn't pull the trigger exactly the right way it wanted, it wouldn't go off. Don't know if that's an issue with aftermarket 700 triggers or not but it didn't speak to me of reliability.

The DBM was rattly as hell. I don't know; maybe all DBMs are but no way would I want that much noise. The magazine did lock positively into place though.

Both were certainly accurate enough for my purposes though I recognize 200 yards is a chip shot with these rifles. I was happy that with my lack of bolt-gun experience I was able to keep the bullet holes overlapping one another at 200.

I was surprised that the felt recoil on the .308 was markedly higher than the .300 Win Mag. The BA has a pretty large muzzle brake on it so it was loud but very soft shooting. Of course it weighed three times as much as the .308 so....

Both had to be very smartly cycled to keep from binding up, something I did not expect. Had some issues feeding and ejecting. The 700 didn't have any problems but I didn't put as many rounds through it. I haven't heard of widespread 700 reliability problems yet many people have commented on such issues with the Savage.

I didn't write down the models of Vortex glass on the rifles but they were certainly more than adequate and seemed to be clear and rock solid. Again, I'm no pro but I'd be happy with either of them as I've been pleased already with the Vortex glass I've owned and other Vortexes I've shot with.

Having shot both rifles now, I think either would suit my particular needs; I'm not looking to get into competitions and have nowhere to shoot more than 500-800 yards.

That said, if I'm getting into the long-range .308 game, it's going to be a 700. But I had to shoot them both myself to come to that conclusion. It's just how I roll

Thank you one and all for your advice and sharing your experiences. Hopefully before too much longer I can shift gears from "what rifle should I get?" to "what changes should I make to my 700?"

Thanks again and best regards,

-'bridge
    Last edited by Stonebridge; 08-23-12 at 16:00.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonebridge View Post
    The trigger was set heavier on the .308 than on the .300 but they were both finicky and I didn't like the feel. Several times I had to lift the bolt handle straight up and slowly bring it back down because the trigger was dead. If you didn't pull the trigger exactly the right way it wanted, it wouldn't go off. Don't know if that's an issue with aftermarket 700 triggers or not but it didn't speak to me of reliability.

Both were certainly accurate enough for my purposes though I recognize 200 yards is a chip shot with these rifles. I was happy that with my lack of bolt-gun experience I was able to keep the bullet holes overlapping one another at 200.

Both had to be very smartly cycled to keep from binding up, something I did not expect. Had some issues feeding and ejecting.

That said, if I'm getting into the long-range .308 game, it's going to be a 700. But I had to shoot them both myself to come to that conclusion.
    It's good that you expereinced the "feel" of the rifles before you purchased.
    I think most savage purchasers buy based on price and savage's excellent accuracy track record.
    All those other things (function, ergonomics & upgradeability) are important too.
    Of course the Savage rifles are lacking in those other things.
    There's no question that Savages are accurate, but accuracy is only a small part of the whole "feel" of shooting.
    The savage lovers rabidly defend their purchases so as not to feel bad about what they bought as it would make them look bad to admit the truth of it all...
    Last edited by AR15barrels; 08-24-12 at 13:53.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AR15barrels View Post
    There's no question that Savages are accurate, but accuracy is only a small part of the whole "feel" of shooting.
    The savage lovers rabidly defend their purchases so as not to feel bad about what they bought as it would make them look bad to admit the truth of it all...
    ... it's posts like this that restore my faith in humanity.

Thank you.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    ... it's posts like this that restore my faith in humanity.
    And then I COUNTER!!!

"What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Maybe i just got lucky, but i've never felt the need to replace or do any work to my stock 700 trigger. From the day i bought it it has been perfect for me.

When i owned a Savage that was the only thing i couldn't get to work right for me, was the stock trigger. It constantly caused me headaches! The rest of the gun i had no issues with, and it was indeed very accurate!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Maybe I shouldf have said "Can't wait to see which you like better and what you like about which". Specificly the accutrigger, the bolt travel, the fit and finish. I'm trying to see why so many new shooters go Savage (in my neck of the woods at least).

Not trying to start shit at all, but what wears out on savage? I've never heard that one before? (that being said I had a very low round count savage 30-06 strip a action screw completely)
    Do they use substandard steel? Bolt to soft? If you want please reply in a PM as to not derail the thread.
    Mostly to do with anything put out by remington is shit. The 700 is garbage in fit finish and machining compared to 30 years ago. Same with the 870. I sold them all and bought an old mint wingmaster that makes the the new 870s feel like a hipoint.

Savage is putting out a better product , cheaper than rem. Better quality componets (minus stock) and a better barrel. Add the ability for the user to change barrels/calibers, for the money, the savage is a better buy.

FN SPR is really the best value out there, but may be out of your price range.

Dont confuse a trued worked up rifle (m24) to one off the rem commercial factory. Not even the same ballapark.
    Last edited by TurretGunner; 09-15-12 at 09:22.

Feedback Score
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonebridge View Post
    As I mentioned, I've been leaning heavily toward a Savage .308 topped with Vortex glass as my starter gun. Imagine my surprise when I learned that Savage, Vortex, and Hornady are putting on a range day ten miles from my house. I see that as a sign from the heavens right there; at least that's the excuse I'll be giving my wife
    NOW, place an ad in your local paper advertising a rifle / scope package just like what you want at a hugely inflated price. Make a big deal of reading / showing her the ad and act all dejected that it is so far outside your price range. When you bring one home for far less, you'll be a hero.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast