Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Entry level .308?

Feedback Score
    A lot of really great input so far; I'm very appreciative. I know there are lots better choices out there but I really want to keep this a 'beginner's gun.' If the bug bites, and I start to feel limited by the platform, then I'll build my ultimate rifle but for now I'm going to try to keep it low end. I'll be limiting the platform for a looong time before it's limiting me

As for the .223 vs. .308 I know there are plenty of .223 rifles (shooters, really) that can make 500 yards look like a chip shot. I think I still want .308 on the off chance I ever do get the opportunity to stretch it out or maybe take a beginner's long-range rifle class. And the extra 'authority' of the larger caliber would be kinda nice if I ever really needed it for something besides ringing steel.

One of my LEO buddies has his Remmy cut down pretty short. I'll be toting my rifle in my Eberlestock gunslinger so shaving weight isn't such a big deal but that short little barrel appeals to me. CDI factor maybe. Do you lose a ton of performance in an 18" .308? I figure it's kinda silly to talk about taking a long range class and hacking the barrel down in the same post but humor me if you could.

Thanks so much guys.
    -'bridge

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    You're going to get a lot of opinions from everyone pushing their rifle of preference at your price point.

The truth is, they will almost all work just fine for you. Rem 700's will have the longest lifetime support, but may not work as great out of the box.

Savages have a reputation for being tack drivers out of the box, but not working out long term (note: I have no experience on this, it's just scuttlebutt)

Tikka T3s have fantastic triggers and a great reputation.

Howa 1500s are not as well known, but also seem to have great performance. There is a factory detachable mag kit available for $90ish. Not much gunsmith support out there, though.

Pretty much any option you go with is going to require a new stock, except maybe the Savage, if you got the accustock.

.308 or .223 won't matter too much at the range you're looking at. But if you ever get the chance to go up to 1000, you might want the .30.

Nothing wrong with Vortex glass. Stick to the Viper line and up (Viper, PST, Razor). The lower end ones were not really meant to handle heavy recoil.
    Solid advice.
    I can tell you from first-hand experience that the Howa is a reliable and accurate rifle. The only complaint that I have is the factory trigger sucks. But a Timmey fixes that for $100.

If you look around you will note that the Howa actions are used by many custom shops and manufacturers like Weatherby, Smith and Wesson, etc.

SkiDevil

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonebridge View Post
    One of my LEO buddies has his Remmy cut down pretty short. I'll be toting my rifle in my Eberlestock gunslinger so shaving weight isn't such a big deal but that short little barrel appeals to me. CDI factor maybe. Do you lose a ton of performance in an 18" .308? I figure it's kinda silly to talk about taking a long range class and hacking the barrel down in the same post but humor me if you could.
    If you search online, there is a lot of data how 18-20" barrels can handle their own, and definitely at the distance you will be shooting at. I believe Lowlight on Sniper's Hide once put up a video of how he was hammering away at 1,000 with an 18" barrel. IIRC, SWAT magazine also has an article out from a while back on using 18-20" barrels.

If a factory barrel, you might want to go 22" as they tend to lose fps a bit faster than the custom ones.

Feedback Score
    Thank you very much, one and all. Looks like I'll start out with the aforementioned entry-level setup and if the bug bites hard I'll be back on here having you guys sort out for me which is the 'very best' rifle and scope combo. THAT should make for a lengthier thread

EDIT: Also, (as previously evidenced by my horrible golf game) my range estimation skills SUCK. Upon measuring with a satellite map, I have approx. 800 meters unobstructed to shoot on and probably an additional 200 meters if I get up above the hedgerows. Definitely .308 territory.

If any other advice or warnings come to mind, feel free to keep posting.

Thanks so much,

-'bridge
    Last edited by Stonebridge; 06-06-12 at 14:07.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Both Rem and Savage make 20 inch "tactical" model rifles. There are several members here that shoot to 1k with 20 inch .308s.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Both Rem and Savage make 20 inch "tactical" model rifles. There are several members here that shoot to 1k with 20 inch .308s.
    Tikka and Howa do as well.

The Howas are called "varminters." There is both a fluted and non-fluted option. Tikka has a rifle called the Compact Tactical Rifle (most people just say CTR). It's in the same price bracket as the others, but Beretta hasn't imported any in a while. There may be a couple on the used market. The other Tikka "Tactical" with a 20" is needlessly out of the price range.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonebridge View Post
    I know there are lots better choices out there but I really want to keep this a 'beginner's gun.'
    I recommend one of Mel's enrty packages for your stated purpose.

Sniper Central : Howa 1500 Entry Package:
    http://www.snipercentral.com/scrifle...ml?packageid=1

Sniper Central : Remington 700 Entry Package:
    http://www.snipercentral.com/scrifle...ml?packageid=2

Feedback Score
    Tikka T3 is my go to rifle, 975 Yards 10 inch steel yesterday was easy, it shoots silly accurate and mine is bone stock other than my paint job
    100 yard group factory American Eagle 168 OTM ammunition

DA - B4 1992
    SOTIC 1993
    getting old but can still shoot

in memory of Harvey, 5th SFG Sniper Locker

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Nice paint job! I like it----

Feedback Score
    Thanks was not difficult to do
    DA - B4 1992
    SOTIC 1993