Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Entry level .308?

Feedback Score
    As I mentioned, I've been leaning heavily toward a Savage .308 topped with Vortex glass as my starter gun. Imagine my surprise when I learned that Savage, Vortex, and Hornady are putting on a range day ten miles from my house. I see that as a sign from the heavens right there; at least that's the excuse I'll be giving my wife

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a Tikka Whitetail Hunter in 308 great rifle and superbly accurate.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    Hey go with what you like. I got beat by a Savage just a couple weeks ago. It was a pretty much stock, but bedded into a Manners stock.
    Sorry, I come from the world of long range. Forgive my ignorance.

Feedback Score
    It's hard to be the value of a Savage with that awesome Accutrigger, but my vote would be to go with a Remington 700 action - the PSS or LTR would make a good platform to start with. My 2 cents ...

Feedback Score
    The Savage is a good choice. Another good option is the Tikka. Get their varmint vession shoots well and less expensive than the tacticool version. In fact the plain jane hunting rifle is probably sub MOA the barrel will just heat up faster.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I can see Tikka, I can see Winchester actions, I can see FN and I certainly can see Remmy (which I would recommend).

Why when you have those options for comparable pricing would you ever go with a Savage?

Despite what the errornet would tell you the accutrigger sucks fat hairy cock. It brings nothing to the table.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 07-03-12 at 20:33.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    Savages are accurate on the most part. I have seen to many of em in F-class winning to not beleive that. But most of em are tuned up pretty good. They are not however as smooth as remmys or tikkas. I am not a fan of the accutrigger either. but, a good stock, good glass, and trigger time trigger time trigger time. You came here wanting the savage, you know you did. Now go get it.
    Sorry, I come from the world of long range. Forgive my ignorance.

Feedback Score
    My vote is for a Remington 700.

I look at it this way, if anything ever does happen and the world falls apart... I like knowing I can find parts. This is the reason I went with the AR15 in stead of some of the other options out there. AR15's can be found every where from the military, law enforcement, and private ownership. The same is true of the Remington 700 bolt action rifles. The military and law enforcement use Remingtons heavily, not to mention the Remington 700 can be found in more homes than any other model of bolt action rifle here in America.

My completely stock 1976 Remington 700 in 22-250 prints three shot groups about the size of my thumb nail at 200 yards. Roughly 3/4 of an inch to 1 inch or so...

Last edited by Wolf Spyder; 07-05-12 at 19:40.
    Spyder

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I vote Savage as well. I wouldn't have another new factory Remington if you gave it to me for free. The only guy who beat me yesterday at a K was shooting a Savage. They are really accurate guns - they just won't take the abuse that some of the more expensive ones will.

On a budget, Savage all the way.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Spyder View Post
    My vote is for a Remington 700.

I look at it this way, if anything ever does happen and the world falls apart... I like knowing I can find parts. This is the reason I went with the AR15 in stead of some of the other options out there. AR15's can be found every where from the military, law enforcement, and private ownership. The same is true of the Remington 700 bolt action rifles. The military and law enforcement use Remingtons heavily, not to mention the Remington 700 can be found in more homes than any other model of bolt action rifle here in America.

My completely stock 1976Remington 700 in 22-250 prints three shot groups about the size of my thumb nail at 200 yards. Roughly 3/4 of an inch to 1 inch or so...

Identified the important part in red.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast