Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Original Aimpoint

Feedback Score
    The MkIII is the first one I had. I bought it at a closed gun shop auction in, I think, 1985. I got it for around $100; I think they ran about $175 then.
    I ordered an Aimpoint gooseneck carry handle mount from Natchez Shooting Supplies and mounted it on my SP1 AR. Having an AR back then was unusual around here. Having the Aimpoint was downright bizarre.

I rolled a running rabbit with it within a day or so and thought it was the greatest sight on the planet.

The MkIII, if I'm not mistaken, is basically the one in the link modified to having internal adjustments instead of having them in the base.
    Aside from the soft plastic caps, it seemed to be a pretty rugged sight. Battery life was poor, but that was expected then. That battery was not easy to get back then, though.
    It is odd looking through that small diameter thing now. It's like looking through a 7/8" .22 scope. I had to work at it to keep both eyes open.

I still have mine. I was just recently thinking about putting it on a 10-22 or maybe a Browning takedown .22 rifle. Not a thing wrong with it for that.

For that matter, I still have a Comp on one of my regular ARs. Not a Comp M or Comp C, but a Comp.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I still have my complete, functioning Aimpoint MK 3. I also have the 3X screw in magnifier for it. Dont know what to do with it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Vickers View Post
    About the time Eotechs were bought, and the first zero shift issues with those came out, I found out that Aimpoint had upgraded the M68 to a much brighter red dot so the main complaint had been answered- unfortunately, for whatever reason, this new version carried the same M68 designation as the old one ( instead of something like M68A1)- so unless you knew the serial number range where the new ones started you didn't know what you were getting when issued an M68- believe it or not this one seemingly little oversight could have dramatically changed the red dot market as we know it today- an M68A1 could have made a huge impact right when the Eotech QC issues were coming to a head
    I think the DOD is now on the 3rd or 4th generation of M68 optics. We should be on something like the M68A3 by now.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

I actually bought one of the G2 models recently, used but seems to be working. I have it on my M1a but haven't fired it yet.

I bought it for fun, i only payed about USD 20, but if it works properly i'll defintely use it.

Weird story about your M68's! Usually the military is painfully good at changing stuff like that...

wtheesfeld Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fail-Safe View Post
    I still have my complete, functioning Aimpoint MK 3. I also have the 3X screw in magnifier for it. Dont know what to do with it.
    Well you donate it to me, of course!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry in IN View Post
    The MkIII is the first one I had. I bought it at a closed gun shop auction in, I think, 1985. I got it for around $100; I think they ran about $175 then.
    I ordered an Aimpoint gooseneck carry handle mount from Natchez Shooting Supplies and mounted it on my SP1 AR. Having an AR back then was unusual around here. Having the Aimpoint was downright bizarre.

I rolled a running rabbit with it within a day or so and thought it was the greatest sight on the planet.

The MkIII, if I'm not mistaken, is basically the one in the link modified to having internal adjustments instead of having them in the base.
    Aside from the soft plastic caps, it seemed to be a pretty rugged sight. Battery life was poor, but that was expected then. That battery was not easy to get back then, though.
    It's still hard to find.

Feedback Score
    I'm curious--if the Mk2 was the first red dot in 1975, what was the Mk1?

I still run a ML2 on one of my carbines. Got it for a steal around 6-7 years ago and have had no issues with it.

Feedback Score
    Wow, talkin about old school. It's amazing how far we have come.

Feedback Score
    That's crazy. 1975 on the first model? I never would have believed it. I wonder how many they made and how many are still functional today.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I remember reading in Gun World magazines in the late 70s and seeing pictures of shooters installing the early Aimpoints on PPC style K frame revolvers in the Bianchi Cup matches. The whole rig was huge, I bet it was heavy, but soaked up the recoil of those puny .38 spl loads.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast