Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to the forums. I want a serious AR/M4.

Feedback Score

New to the forums. I want a serious AR/M4.

Hello everyone. I have been researching this rifle for a while now (about 6 months) There is a lot to cover. I have come to the conclusion that building a rifle is going to be my best bet as far as getting what I want, and saving $$$. First and foremost my rifle(s) will be for COMBAT. Nothing fancy. Obviously I will be shooting (target, tactical, recreational) with them but I want an absolute bare bones for SHTF scenario rifle. I know the uses of quad rails, and tac lights etc. but my main thing is that I want a reliable, durable, light weight combat rifle capable of weathering a war if need be. I don't care about names and affiliations, I just want help with choosing top quality products at an affordable price. I hear many names thrown around the forums but I read more about Colt, LMT, Bushy, Stag, DPMS and Armalite than others. I am not looking to spend a lot of $$$ but if need be I will. What I want that is top quality will be components that aid the reliability, functioning, feeding, extraction, etc. of the rifle. Handles, stocks, rails, hand guards, sights etc. is secondary for me. I just want a rifle that will work when I need it to. This is basically what i am looking for:

-1:7 twist (I came up with this because I read that it isn't as picky about ammo)

-M4 set up (I believe it'll cut down the weight and the rails aren't really necessary for what I want. I know I can always buy them afterwards anyways)

-A lower than can take any mag(I read that some S&W's were having trouble with magpul pmags)

-A quality barrel. (I don't no much about this particular subject but I would like something that is very durable. Basically shoot tons of ammo and not miss a beat???14.5 is preferable but if the accuracy really is affected by the -1.5 inches then the 16" will do)

-Absolutely the best, or as good as any of the best (price reflective) components mentioned from this thread:https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

I read on the colts and they seem to have a lot more components, and details as far as their 6920 goes, than other AR manufacturers. Do things like M16 bolt carrier, M4 feed ramps, and extras like crane o rings, and black extractor insert, properly staked carrier key etc. make a huge difference? If so these were the "components" for reliability etc. that I was talking about.) I want as close to tier 1 as possible.

How would I go about buying/doing this? I want to save as much as possible but I won't cheap out on anything. If LMT makes better quality lowers, uppers, etc. than that's who I am going with, and so on and so forth. If price point helps you all decide then I am looking to spend about 1400, but that is killing my wallet. If I can go about it cheaper, maybe different methods like the 10% I would supposedly save from buying upper, and lower separately, then give me all the tricks, and tips please.

I am sorry for the long 1st post, but I appreciate the effort and time that I know at least one of you will take. I will also be posting this in the "build it your self" forum to see if I get more responses. Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Dont over think it, Buy This, Do not look back

Add any basic surefire weapon light in a larue mount, and your choice of a VFG

Optics, is a whole different discussion

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek_Connor View Post
    Dont over think it, Buy This, Do not look back

Add any basic surefire weapon light in a larue mount, and your choice of a VFG

Optics, is a whole different discussion
    It seems great and all, but I don't know much about Noveske. Are they as reputable as the big 4?(Colt, LMT, Bushy, Stag)

Feedback Score
    right now, the N4 is the best thing going.

right now, Noveske is definitely in the forefront of setting the standard.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Hi Jedi, welcome to M4C.

You'll get many different answers to your inquiry, and the Noveske is a great choice. Personally I think you should get a Colt LE6920.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek_Connor View Post
    right now, the N4 is the best thing going.

right now, Noveske is definitely in the forefront of setting the standard.
    Where could I read some literature on them? Any website recommendations? Are any of these rifles in use right now?(armed services) What credentials to they have? Why this instead of an LMT, etc.????

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post
    Hi Jedi, welcome to M4C.

You'll get many different answers to your inquiry, and the Noveske is a great choice. Personally I think you should get a Colt LE6920.
    Thanks appreciate it. Why the 6920? (besides being the original, or because it's a Colt, etc.)

Don G. Guest

Talking

Content deleted.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Well, what have you learned in your six months of research?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post
    Well, what have you learned in your six months of research?
    Well as far as Colt goes that most people like them, and they say that Colt is the true mil-spec rifle. There are also those people that hate them because of the limited interchangeability with I believe the lower receiver??? They seem to have more components, and different tolerances with certain parts like the ones listed in this chart: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642 Other than this not much more. It's a lot of info.... Plus all the brands, and then the biases....

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast