Thread: Advice for shooting in armor/plates

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Advice for shooting in armor/plates

Looking for any advice for helping create a stable shooting platform when shooting in plates. I just got my first range trip out last night wearing my new PIG PC getting ready for some upcoming classes and it is a world of difference running a PC vs. a chest rig/soft armor as far as being able to get the rifle stable and sturdy locked into my shoulder pocket. I found more than once during a drill my rifle would start sliding off the PC and causing me to have to stop a string of shots to re adjust. Any wisdom would be appreciated!

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Just shoot a lot/ practice manipulations with your kit on and it will become second nature. I personally like stocks with a shorter toe, like the old CAR stock, because they don't interfere as much with the plate carrier. A rubberized pad line what's on the SOPMOD also helps. I know a few people who just put the lower part of thestock on the plate itself but I haven't found that method to work well for me.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I'm using a CTR right now on my carbine that has the thin rubber pad on the back, my issue is I am very small, so my plate essentially fills up my entire torso width wise wearing a 10x12" triple curve plate. All last night I was putting the entire stock on the plate itself and my first few shots felt good but then the sliding would start, I have been tossing the idea around since last night of putting some piece of kit or a pouch on the very far side to use as a stock stop of sorts to catch my rifle as it slides.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Did you happen to do a search? (Orange Search Button...above)

Here's a couple good ones:

Proper wear of Hard Armor (with anatomical diagrams)

Training with Rifle Plates

Feedback Score
    If you wear the PC to the class then the instructor should definitely be able to help you out with this issue.

Meanwhile, just make sure everything (pc, rifle, etc) is very tight.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Did you happen to do a search? (Orange Search Button...above)

Here's a couple good ones:

Proper wear of Hard Armor (with anatomical diagrams)

Training with Rifle Plates
    I did a prelim search before posting and had read the proper wear of plates thread, my plates are sitting exactly where they need to be which is good, now its just tackling running the gun with them and getting situated.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If the second thread cited doesn't address what you're after, add your specific questions to it.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons