Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting a Rainier SPR [Pretty Much Done]

Feedback Score
    66 (100%)

Starting a Rainier SPR [Pretty Much Done]

Well, while waiting for my Form 1, I decided to start a SPR build. I have a middy BCM and the Form 1 is for a Noveske SBR build, so I decided to go with Rainier Arms for this build. I have read good reviews of their service and products, so here's hoping it all goes well.

So far, I have:
    - Rainier Arms Forged A4 Upper
    - Rainier Arms Match .223 Wylde Barrel - 18" SPR
    - VLTOR Gas Block
    - Rifle Length Gas Tube
    - Battle Comp
    - Standard Barrel Nut

About $555.00 spent so far. I'm planning on using a 15" Troy rail as well as their BUIS. Not sure on optic, might go with a Leupold Mark AR of some flavor. Gonna use a Rainier lower and plan on running a Geissele SSA trigger and Magpul UBR. My BCM has the SSA and UBR, and my Noveske lower (Form 1) also has the same installed, so the commonality seems like a good idea.

The barrel is installed but the gas block is crazy tight, so the upper is in the freezer right now.

Any feedback is appreciated, especially on the optic. Most likely wont be shooting past 300 yards. Also, not sure if I'm going to install the Battle Comp. I would like to run a suppressor at some point. I was thinking of having BattleComp modify it with a 51T mount, which I understand is a service they will start offering soon.
    Last edited by NoveskeFan; 06-20-12 at 19:19.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    - Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Off to a great start. Interested to see how the RA barrel stacks up to the bigger guys. When do you hope to have it completed?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Just for future reference, using this gas block will alleviate the tightness issue with stainless barrels:

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1872

Also, not to piss in your cereal, but what made you choose the BattleComp instead of spending the same amount of money but bumping up to an Ultra Match barrel and using an A2?
    Last edited by a0cake; 06-11-12 at 14:10.

Feedback Score
    66 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenromeo View Post
    Off to a great start. Interested to see how the RA barrel stacks up to the bigger guys. When do you hope to have it completed?
    I hope to be done with the main rifle by August. Might have to wait until my Christmas overtime check for the optic.

Quote Originally Posted by a0cake View Post
    Just for future reference, using this gas block will alleviate the tightness issue with stainless barrels:

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1872

Also, not to piss in your cereal, but what made you choose the BattleComp instead of spending the same amount of money but bumping up to an Ultra Match barrel and using an A2?
    I wish I had noticed that gas block before I marred up my barrel Oh well, live and learn. As far as the barrel itself, I don't have consistent access to a long distance range. Every so often, I'm able to get out to a family friends land, but for the most part will be at 100 yards. Not the best logic for something as important as the barrel, but if it shoots sub-MOA as advertised, I'll be happy. The BattleComp was purchased from a member here. I was quick to buy it and figured it would work for this build, however, I'm now questioning if the BC is the best choice for a SPR.

Last edited by NoveskeFan; 06-11-12 at 16:03.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NoveskeFan View Post
    I hope to be done with the main rifle by August. Might have to wait until my Christmas overtime check for the optic.

I wish I had noticed that gas block before I marred up my barrel Oh well, live and learn. As far as the barrel itself, I don't have consistent access to a long distance range. Every so often, I'm able to get out to a family friends land, but for the most part will be at 100 yards. Not the best logic for something as important as the barrel, but if it shoots sub-MOA as advertised, I'll be happy. The BattleComp was purchased from a member here. I was quick to buy it and figured it would work for this build, however, I'm now questioning if the BC is the best choice for a SPR.

i also knew about the other gas block,but the scarring doesn`t look too bad!i love my battlecomp`s(2.0&babc)looks like a nice build going on!

Feedback Score
    66 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsolla View Post
    i also knew about the other gas block,but the scarring doesn`t look too bad!i love my battlecomp`s(2.0&babc)looks like a nice build going on!
    Thanks! If I build another stainless barrel upper, I'll definitely get the larger gas block, though. Installing the Vltor was a major pain.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Is your gas block on backwards? Just curious as I've never used a Vltor gas block.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by wahoo95; 06-11-12 at 16:39.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    Is your gas block on backwards? Just curious as I've never used a Vltor gas block.

it could never be put on backwards,as the gas tube hole is only on one side.notice where the pin hole is for the gas tube to attach;towards the muzzle end like the rest.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsolla View Post
    it could never be put on backwards,as the gas tube hole is only on one side.notice where the pin hole is for the gas tube to attach;towards the muzzle end like the rest.
    Great point....please forgive my brain fart moment.

Feedback Score
    66 (100%)
    Ok, got the 15" Troy Battlerail installed. I installed a small rail section at 6 o'clock (bipod?) and the longer QD sling mount rail at 9 o'clock for sling use and to mount a light. I went ahead and installed the Battlecomp.

I have the Rainier lower. Not too sure about the tension screw for upper/lower play. I guess it cant hurt...

It also has their logo on the front of the magwell, leaving one side unmarked except for the selector markings.

Couldnt find a Daniel Defense LPK for days, so went with a Palmetto State Armory LPK and Geissele SSA trigger. The LPK is taking a Frog Lube bath (minus springs).

I hope to have it built within the next few days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast