Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: What brand of flashlights contend with Surefire?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Last edited by charmcitycop; 10-30-12 at 18:13. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Stream light weapon lights suck in my experience. Their hand helds are ok but do not compete with Surefire. As for customer service I had two switch go out on the older M3 weapon light both just past the limited warranty Streamlight has and they would not replace either. The switch cost $65 when the light was only worth about $90 at the time.

Pat
    the m3 is made by insight. streamlight makes the tlr series.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HMC View Post
    There's also a number of actual users who can't seemed to be bothered with looking beyond Surefire, regardless of what their actual needs are.

Yeah, I get it. You want a light with a single output that comes on when you press the tailcap.

There are non-SF lights that do that. And they'll be brighter, lighter, smaller, cheaper, and have better battery life.

"Too bright!" Yeah, ok, you might not want 300 lumens for indoor use.

There are still non-SF lights that do that. And they'll be lighter, smaller, cheaper, and have better battery life.

"I don't want smaller or lighter, because I like carrying extra weight and bulk." Ok... I guess...

There are still non-SF lights that do that. And they'll be cheaper, and have better battery life.

"I want shorter battery life, because I like buying extra batteries, and enjoy having my light die on me at inopportune moments."

There are still... no, wait, you might have to stick with SF on that one.

But they are inferior by every measurable metric. That doesn't mean that they are junk by any means - they're still great lights. But there are better out there, and for 1/3 to 1/2 the cost. Just because you perceive a need for the inferior product does not make it not-inferior, it just makes it what you want.Me, I'd rather get the better light for less money and spend the rest on practice ammo.

As for "proven" - We've been hearing for years how LED's are better, particularly for weaponlights, because they handle the recoil better than an incan. Yet SF was the last company to jump on the LED bandwagon. So where was that LED tech being proven?

SF just revamped their lineup, what, a year ago? All those new LED models are new, vs non-SF LED lights that have been around 3-5 years or more. Which ones would you say are more proven?
    did you include reliable in one of your initial examples of better? I think I noticed you didn't...

did you consider that surefire may not have released their led offerigs for the world to test but instead tested their led lineups in corporate privacy so I wouldn't have to be a beta tester?
    Last edited by trinydex; 08-27-12 at 02:15.

Feedback Score

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    I've had great experiences with the Pelican M6 series. I don't know about engineering and research that goes into it like other companies, but it's been on par with my G2 and C2 Surefires for function, lumen output and battery life as well as being utterly unbreakable. It's been my go to light on duty for the past five years. And cheaper than the high end Surefires as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strider5.56 View Post
    I have a few surefires, however they are way over priced. With the flood of similar features and quality for less I often wonder when the sun will set for surefire. I use to drink the surefire kool-aid until my Z2 combat light fell off a tool cart in the garage and hit the floor and cracked the lense like a jigsaw puzzle. The light still worked however. I took my way cheaper O-light I use everyday at work T-25 model and conducted the same off the tool cart drop 12 times and the lense never cracked. I don't think surefire is worth the money. However I called surefire and they sent me a new lense assembly free no questions asked. Plus 1 on customer service. Not so sure I could do the same with O-light.
    Update, My O-light tail switch quit working, and while inspecting the light I also noticed dust inside the lamp bezel. I use the olight T25 everyday at work as a Detective. I had his light for about 17 months when I broke. It has a 2 year warranty. I called Olight which now was pushing another named light. The ass-clown on the phone kept trying to sell me one of their new lights with a lifetime warranty. I told him I just wanted this one fixed and it was under warranty. The. He wanted to charge me $35 for a tail switch and 40 for a bezel. I only paid $45 for the whole light at a gunshow new. I told him a lifetime warranty on the new light did not impress me seeing as they would not honor this warranty. Finally he put the manager on the phone. He told me to send it in and they would repair it for free like the warranty stated. So I get it back in a few days surprisingly. Also to my surprise it looks like used parts are on it. Tail cap rubber button was semi smoothed over from wear. Bezel had a few scratches and one nice ding from a drop. This was not my parts redone. It worked though. Now the tail light switch is starting to go again. So I am in the market to buy a new one. Probably going to be surefire or streamlight. From an officer/ former Infantryman's point of view, they just work, even when abused. Lets face it, anything man made can break, at least surefire honors warranties in my experience without the BS. The Chinese lights like olight are fine if you only use them once in a while. My dads olight he bought the same day I bought mine has served him well. It sits in the dash of his Jeep Wangler. I think he has used it maybe 3 times for a total of less than 10 minutes. Another thing to consider is all the geek clicks modes, another olight I have is bad to jump into another mode when tactically clearing a building. I like the on off only in a tailcap.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011