Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying a $2,000+ 1911?

Feedback Score

Carrying a $2,000+ 1911?

I've had my CC license for a little over a year now, but I rarely find myself actually carrying. This is mostly because I find most polymer framed handguns with double stack mags to be bulky and imprint through my clothes. I've tried several different glocks, a sig SP2022, and even a compact M&P (it was a friends, but did fit more comfortably than the others I have tried).

This leads me to the idea of carrying a 1911. I've never owned one, but have shot plenty. I practically own my father's Springfield loaded, since i'm the main one who shoots it and cleans it when I visit. Everytime I handle one I find myself falling in love with the 1911 design, feel and functionality. Through all my research, shopping and handling I believe a single stack commander Bobtail will work best for me when carrying.

My mouth drools over the idea of getting an Ed Brown Special Forces Carry. I've also looked into a Nighthawk T3 and was very close to purchasing a Dan Wesson V-Bob at a gunshow in Roanoke Va a couple of months back.

This leads me to my question... Does anyone here actually carry their highly expensive semi-custom 1911's daily? I get the feeling that if I ever did fork out the cash for one, I'm not sure that I could bring myself to carry around something that valuable every day (shooting the heck out of it is a different story).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Athirst5IoN View Post
    This leads me to my question... Does anyone here actually carry their highly expensive semi-custom 1911's daily? I get the feeling that if I ever did fork out the cash for one, I'm not sure that I could bring myself to carry around something that valuable every day (shooting the heck out of it is a different story).
    Yes.

I have been carrying either my Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special,or my MONO Commanche or EB Kobra Carry as a CCW piece for about 2 yrs now and can't imagine NOT carrying something I trust.

Granted,most of the carry occurs in colder weather when I am wearing a coat,or at the gunshop I work at on weekends.
    But I wouldn't own a firearm I was afraid to carry for fear of scratching or wearing the bluing on from holster presentations.

I shoot my guns,I am not a collector.
    All of my guns get range time.No safe queens for me!

DAT85

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    What else would you buy it for?

Would you buy a Rolex to never wear it?
    The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

JHP's are good times, for bad people.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    imho:

Weather it a firearm cost $400 or $4000, its a Tool = Use it.

A S&W J-Frame, Glock or Kahr, 1911. etc. = All have a place for a time/place/event.

As long as it fits the part: You, Application = Doesn't matter the cost.
    ^ Just needs to make sense to you

Lifes too short to not Want "Carry" the best

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loupav View Post
    What else would you buy it for?

Would you buy a Rolex to never wear it?
    I wouldn't buy a Rolex, I think that would be a waste of money.

However I do not think putting my hard earned money into a quality firearm is a waste of money. I just can't imagine how I would feel walking around with a 2 to 3 thousand dollar item tucked under my waste band. Maybe it's just because I've never dropped high amounts of cash on anything except a house and a car.

I would love to have a baer or brown with me. I'm just simply asking a question here. Not implying it's a bad idea.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SPDGG View Post
    Lifes too short to not Want "Carry" the best
    ^^ I like the way you think!!!

DAT85, how do you like the snakeskin treatment on the Kobra Carry?

Feedback Score
    Whether it's something to consider or not is debatable but, if you ever have to use the gun and it is confiscated by the police, you may never get it back or you may get it back in worse shape then when it was surrendered.

I don't think price should be the biggest factor when choosing a ccw gun. You should get something that you will want to wear all the time so that you do wear it all the time.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Work harder. Millions on welfare are depending on you.

Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.
    George S. Patton

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    "Athirst5IoN"

I understand what your saying and coming from.

If you think about it, $2-3K goes a long way, always has, but especially these days. Its a large investment for anything and I completely agree with that.

But, As posted before: It has to make sense for you. If a 1911 does it for you, there are options to look into besides a $2-3K High End Catalog offering.

If your set on a 1911, I would, You could do this:

* Find yourself a Nice Series 70 Colt Full Size: Your Choice

-or-

SA Mil-Spec [NM Serial Prefix]
    * Send it off to a Quality Top Notch Respected 1911 Gunsmith that posts here on M4 Carbine for:
    * Reliability Package
    * Retro Style Wider Notch/Taller/Serrated Rear Sight with Matching Stalked in Front Site [Maybe a Gold Bead Insert]
    * Upgrade the Ignition Components & Remove ILS w/ Hard Steel Pins Throughout; Proper Spring # Throughout

* Magwell Enhancement/Beveled
    * If you can swing it, maybe:
    - Fitted Barrel Bushing
    - Bar Stock Plunger Stalked In
    - Upgraded Slide Stop
    - Upgraded Thumb Safety
    * Get some Reliable Mags

^ You'll have a Great Sight Picture; Crisp/Reliable Trigger; Dependable/Reliable Magazines & Something thats Made for "You" . . . . for now

* Add in some Quality Manuf. 230 Grain NON+P HP, & Nice OWB/IWB Leather Holster & your Ready to Go.

Of course you don't need to go everything I listed, but I would at these do the items in bold.
    * This would get you into a Great Classic Style 1911 that has room for future enhancements. Its a Great foundation for a Full One Custom Build if you choose to Treat Yourself at a latter date.
    Last edited by SPDGG; 06-11-12 at 15:46.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Sure you bet.

Easier than maintaining a Porsche/Mercedes et al in Los Angeles.
    Easier & less expensive than some of the women I have been involved with as well. I now from lots of experience.

Oh BTW, I have not lost any money from any guns I have owned. Some have gone up but they have maintained their value. Can't say the same for some of the other examples.

Pretty much common sense dictates here. Use a good holster/Rig, always treat it with respect.

Far worst investments, it's only your life. Look at what people piss away money on.... (I have had clients who have had their wives spend over $5,000.000 USD on a purse)
    Free country & Republic (supposedly) do as you wish...

Life's a risk, enjoy the adventure...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HOPLOETHOS View Post
    Sure you bet.

Life's a risk, enjoy the adventure...
    ^ Agree !

My Better Half, Wife, asks "at times" why-this/that; Do you need this/that?

Besides the usual: bag/purse/shoes/etc. to gun analogies . . . . I ask her "If not now, when? My next life?" my better half Agrees, One Life to Live. Live it Right, Fight for that Right to the Fullest.

Good luck on your choice, Hope you update with a 1911

btw: Look into a Les Baer Concept II
    ^ Great Gov't/FS 1911 with everything most can want/need in a Carry/Defense .45ACP

* Well, breaks over: Back to the grind & another pitcher of coffee
    Last edited by SPDGG; 06-11-12 at 16:03.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast