Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a $2,000+ 1911?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    I don't get this either. The slide goes back and forth and has a recoil spring just like every other auto pistol, so why would the 1911 need anything special?
    Are you freaking serious. The 1911 is far more complex in how it runs that say a Glock. Lots more parts that require fitting that wear out faster. A 1911 was designed when technology was expensive but labor was not. We now live in a world where technology is cheap and labor is expensive. Anyone who has any time at all on 1911's knows that they require a lot more maintance than a modern pistol.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Yeah I'm serious and I didn't notice anything in the article you linked that tells why they would require much more maintenance of parts than other pistols.
    Did you even read the article it talks about regular maintance intervals for the 1911 that you never would even dream about having to do with a Glock or other modern weapon. Go back and open your eyes and then read the article.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Yeah I'm serious and I didn't notice anything in the article you linked that tells why they would require much more maintenance of parts than other pistols.
    Comments from Larry Vickers here:
    http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gears...ur-first-1911/

and here:
    http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-...larry-vickers/

Feedback Score
    Keep reading. There's a lot of good 1911 information on that site. Plus the links to the LAV articles. And you can search out what Ken Hackathorn says.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Lots more parts that require fitting that wear out faster.
    Just out of curiosity, which parts are you referring to?

I have an acquaintance who shoots 1911s far more than anyone else I know and more than I'll ever shoot any of mine, who has a pair of Colt 1991s that, between them, have shot over 400,000 rounds on their original hammers, sears, and disconnectors.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Did you even read the article it talks about regular maintance intervals for the 1911 that you never would even dream about having to do with a Glock or other modern weapon. Go back and open your eyes and then read the article.
    Pat

I've read it before. It does not address "why" parts need to be changed any more often than other pistols.

Perhaps you could answer that question. For instance what is the maintenance interval on a Glock 21, M&P45 or SIG P220 for spring changes?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HackerF15E View Post
    I have an acquaintance who shoots 1911s far more than anyone else I know and more than I'll ever shoot any of mine, who has a pair of Colt 1991s that, between them, have shot over 400,000 rounds on their original hammers, sears, and disconnectors.
    So this example of your friend's guns somehow nullifies the tens of thousands of experiences to the contrary and is statistically significant how? That's like claiming that Mercury Sables are the best cars on the road because "a friend of mine has kept his running since 1975". It is inconsistent with the vast majority of cases where this did not occur.
    Crossing the Noobicon

Feedback Score

Question

Quote Originally Posted by HackerF15E View Post
    ...I have an acquaintance who shoots 1911s far more than anyone else I know and more than I'll ever shoot any of mine, who has a pair of Colt 1991s that, between them, have shot over 400,000 rounds on their original hammers, sears, and disconnectors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peshawar View Post
    So this example of your friend's guns somehow nullifies the tens of thousands of experiences to the contrary and is statistically significant how?...
    Where was anything mentioned about nullifying experiences or anything being "statistically significant"?
    It looks to me like he gave an example and nothing more.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peshawar View Post
    So this example of your friend's guns somehow nullifies the tens of thousands of experiences to the contrary and is statistically significant how? That's like claiming that Mercury Sables are the best cars on the road because "a friend of mine has kept his running since 1975". It is inconsistent with the vast majority of cases where this did not occur.
    Go ahead and do some googling for John Travis, a.k.a. "1911Tuner" on many internet forums. A USMC Vietnam Vet who has shot and maintained more 1911s for more years than likely all of us on this forum combined.

So, again...which parts exactly are the ones that "wear our faster" on the 1911?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Carried everyday

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast