Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Carrying a $2,000+ 1911?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wetidlerjr View Post
    I'm sorry but I just don't agree with that at all. I own and carry (one at a time!) quite a few different 1911s and I have never found that to be, even remotely, true. It is, however, a mantra that is chanted, far and wide, so many consider it to be the gospel. All I can say to those that believe it is, "You should have bought a better 1911 to begin with."I have had very few problems that were easily solved by a few springs, followers and (one time), a new slide stop. Buy good mags, change some springs every now and then and clean and lube is all that is needed. Besides, Glocks have no soul.
    As always, YMMV.
    Really so a Wilson CQB is not good enough. I am not spreading internet rumor its personal experience. I have owned a fair number of 1911's and still own some. The thing is they do take a lot more work than a modern auto to keep running. The said Wilson ran then one day when I took the grips off the plunger tube fell off, Fixed that, then the ejector got loose got a new one and filed it for a solid steel pin, then it started having issues stove pipes. Got a new extractor and tuned it, and then the cycle repeated. I shot about 12000 rounds through it at that point and just did not trust it any more. The real truth those that don't think 1911's take more maintance are casual shooters who put maybe 200 rounds a year through the gun. When you start to actually shoot them you learn. With a Glock you simple don't have those kinds of issues. My 17's have always ran. They really don't need to be cleaned or lubed that often. Never had to replace any parts other than mag springs.
    Pat
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 09-07-12 at 21:27.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    With a Glock you simple don't have those kinds of issues. My 17's have always ran. They really don't need to be cleaned or lubed that often. Never had to replace any parts other than mag springs.
    Pat
    With the difference being the a Glock is a single pistol design built by a single company -- the same company that originally designed it.

It's intellectually dishonest to take an entire category of pistol (like "1911") and compare it directly to one specific design by one specific manufacturer, in this case the original and only manufacturer (like a Glock).

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HackerF15E View Post
    With the difference being the a Glock is a single pistol design built by a single company -- the same company that originally designed it.

It's intellectually dishonest to take an entire category of pistol (like "1911") and compare it directly to one specific design by one specific manufacturer, in this case the original and only manufacturer (like a Glock).
    Yes its true that 1911's have been screwed up by a lot of companies and I am not talking about trash. I am comparing the very best of the custom guns to guns like Glock. (Wilson, Les Baer Springfield Custom Shop guns etc) In my case I have not owned crap 1911's. So its not intellectually dishonest. The simple fact is a 1911 takes a lot more maintance to keep running reliably when compared to a modern weapon like a GLock 17. For me in a duty gun is simply was not worth the risk it would not work. For competition guns I love them. (2011 variants)
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Please let me know when this thread has outlived its usefulness.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    now, its useless now
    -Too many guns not enough time-
    2016 Rocking: Sig Sauer, Vortex Optics, GA Precision, MGM targets, MARS Armament, Inc., KMW Rifles, Mack Brothers, B&T Industries, Prime Ammo, Mile High Shooting Accessories, Gray Guns, Armageddon Gear, Rustick Knives, LLC.,Bartlein Barrels, CORE Shooting Solutions, Magpul.
    Contributing author on www.modernserviceweapons.com

Feedback Score

Talking

It's done.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Really so a Wilson CQB is not good enough. I am not spreading internet rumor its personal experience. I have owned a fair number of 1911's and still own some. The thing is they do take a lot more work than a modern auto to keep running. The said Wilson ran then one day when I took the grips off the plunger tube fell off, Fixed that, then the ejector got loose got a new one and filed it for a solid steel pin, then it started having issues stove pipes. Got a new extractor and tuned it, and then the cycle repeated. I shot about 12000 rounds through it at that point and just did not trust it any more. The real truth those that don't think 1911's take more maintance are casual shooters who put maybe 200 rounds a year through the gun. When you start to actually shoot them you learn. With a Glock you simple don't have those kinds of issues. My 17's have always ran. They really don't need to be cleaned or lubed that often. Never had to replace any parts other than mag springs.
    Pat
    That is pretty funny.
    Glocks are not the end all be all of handguns. I've seen plenty of them fail. Missing extractors, broken slides, cracked frames, broken S-springs, broken take down lever springs and so on...

You sound like the revolver guys talking about how 'unreliable' semi-auto's are.
    I have news for them too: I've seen all kinds of problems with revolvers.

A person doesn't need to spend $2000 on a 1911 to get a good, reliable pistol. Just some knowledge of what you need to keep an eye on as your round count goes up. Kinda like every firearm out there...

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I think it's time to shut this thing down. There doesn't appear to be any real value left in it. For what it is worth I worked under the tutelage of a Marine Corps 2112 which is a precision weapons builder. His specialty was .45 pistols. He clearly told us that many parts guns need to be hand fit on being replaced. How that somehow compares to a drop in part for a Glock or Beretta or Sig is beyond me.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617