Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help picking out a 3 gun rifle

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I would like to second F2S in that the best plan would be to use your current AR if you already have one.
    My 3gun rifles have been an evolution throughout the past few years. I have several 16", a Noveske 18" on a Lancer lower, and I have had a lot of fun with 11.5" sbrs in matches.
    My only requirements for a 3gun rifle are a great trigger, a freefloat rail/tube, and good glass that fits the range of the stages. Everything else is just details.
    All my rifles could pull double duty for game or serious social work, which serves as a reminder as to why I participate in this sport.
    I guess my point is that you don't know what you don't know. Get out there and see what is going on, then change rifle as necessary. A pro can shoot well with subpar equipment, but a $10,000 rifle will not make you a pro.
    Last edited by Breadman; 06-13-12 at 17:16.

Feedback Score
    Of course the S&W M&P would do well for the budding (or even experienced)3 gunner as long 1) it works 2) it is halfway accurate and 3) it holds a zero. You certainly don't need a comp to compete in 3 gun.

The only thing that I think a dedicated 3 gunner really needs is a good trigger. The shots in many 3 gun matches tend to be a lot more difficult than those encountered in most training classes. It is a lot easier to hit a 300 yard MGM plate at 300 yards with a 3.5 lbs crisp trigger than with a 6-7 lbs rough trigger. I used to think that good triggers did not make that much of a difference on the closer/more coarse shots but Mike Pannone of all people convinced me otherwise. I would not run out and buy one for your 1st match but if you get into it, a good trigger is the single biggest thing that you can do to your rifle to improve your shooting.
    Last edited by kelly neal; 06-13-12 at 15:01.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlinx View Post
    I have been lurking on the board for a bit. I initially looked at the Larue Predatar but the wait time discouraged that. Can you 3 gun shooters reccomend a good entry level rifle that has pretty much everything already on it. My local 3 gun matches have beginners shooting the Stag 3G, S&W ar15 TS, and a few DPMS rifles. Can you guys throw out some ideas of available rifles ? Thanks !!!
    Stag 3G is the best I have seen for the price.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Stag Arms 3G is hands down the best bang for the buck on entry level 3 gun specific rifles.

Feedback Score
    Bought a S&W MP 15 TS. Multi purpose , long sight radius rifle...
    Last edited by Gremlinx; 06-18-12 at 15:17.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12