Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 870

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mhmills View Post
    It came with a improved cylinder choke, and I can buy a cylinder choke tube.

How would these be any different than a barrel with a fixed choke.
    I could be wrong on this, but a threaded choke tube can strip out when a slug is fired through it.

Another approach is using the Federal Flite Control Wad Buck Shot loads which put all (9) 00 Buck pellets into the target at 25 yards with an improved cylinder barrel. Pretty impressive stuff. The patterns at 15 yards are about 5-7" in diameter.

Then you can use slugs without concern.

If you haven't already shot this choke tube barrel you might want to consider this option if you can return it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    There is nothing wrong with shooting slugs through a barrel with screw in chokes… Just make sure the correct choke is installed for the correct purpose… Several manufacturers make both IC, cylinder bore, and rifled chokes just for shooting slugs…

Most LE circles frown on screw in chokes for duty shotguns as there are a lot more parts that have to be accounted for, and if it is a kit room gun that is issued to a different Officer every shift, who knows what choke will end up in it at the end of the shift…

I have a 20 inch 870 barrel with a full set of chokes that I use on one of my work guns and it works like a champ…

B
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    I have a 20 inch 870 barrel with a full set of chokes that I use on one of my work guns and it works like a champ…
    Sorta hijacking...I've got the same setup (minus extra tubes) but am not sure what the appropriate choke is for firing slugs. I've not had much luck confirming which one to buy. What do you use?
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Found this at shotgunworld.com

Rifled Slugs (or Foster)
    -Designed for smootbore barrels (use a Cylinder choke or the most 'open' choke you can)
    -Can be used in Rifled barrels, but creates severe fouling and less accurate than Sabots
    Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foster_slug"

Brenneke Type Slugs- Designed for smoothbore barrels.
    Brenneke slugs are good choice for smoothbore shooters.

With Foster slugs or Brennekes you can expect 1 ½-inch groups at 50 yards, possibly 4- to 5-inch groups at 100 yards.
    Slugs can be shot through screw-in choke tubes. Choose Cylinder if possible

Sabot Slugs
    -Designed for Rifled barrels or smoothbores with Rifled Chokes.
    -Sabot type shotgun slugs were marketed in the U.S. starting in about 1985. When used with a rifled slug barrel, they offer vastly improved accuracy compared to traditional shotgun slugs.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by toddackerman View Post
    I could be wrong on this, but a threaded choke tube can strip out when a slug is fired through it.

Another approach is using the Federal Flite Control Wad Buck Shot loads which put all (9) 00 Buck pellets into the target at 25 yards with an improved cylinder barrel. Pretty impressive stuff. The patterns at 15 yards are about 5-7" in diameter.

Then you can use slugs without concern.

If you haven't already shot this choke tube barrel you might want to consider this option if you can return it.

The reason that I bought the barrel with choke tubes is, most of the time it will be HD use but will double as a turkey gun when they're in season Apr15-May31

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Sorta hijacking...I've got the same setup (minus extra tubes) but am not sure what the appropriate choke is for firing slugs. I've not had much luck confirming which one to buy. What do you use?
    I currently have a remchoke improved cylinder tube in and I shoot both Federal Tactical 9 - 00 buckshot with the flight control wad, and Winchester Ranger 1 oz less recoil, rifled slugs, through it with great results...

If I am going to shoot knockdown steel with 7 1/2 shot, I put in the modified tube...

Additionally I have shot some of the sabots with the rifled choke installed, and they are very accurate. I tried a few rounds of 00 buckshot with rifle choke installed but the rifling and the shot cup did not get along and the results were less than spectacular...

B
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12