Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Searching for a fixed blade!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    Really, why do you prefer it over the nim?
    I can't say that I do prefer it over the Nimravus as I do not have one(SYKCO) yet. The Scrapivore is just a great little blade and I like the looks of the SYKCO. Just going by the quality of the scrappy, the SYKCO blade design and the features of the Resiprene handle material it looks to me like this would be a good medium sized fixed blade knife to add to my small collection.

None of my knives will be likely to see any combat but my utility blades do get a pretty good work out on hunting and camping outings. The Nim has served me well and I have nothing bad to say about it.
    Last edited by luvmy40; 06-16-12 at 20:17. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score

YEAH!!

I'm liking this one at $200

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    we could all use another inch or two. Yeah but its a very handy blade. I have a couple friends who have used it in the sandbox and all have nothing but praise for it. One has used it to defend himself and dispatch his attacker.
    Jesus...and I thought my job was rough...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thebriarman View Post
    http://www.barkriverknifetool.com/Search&Rescue.htm

I really like the Bark River knives and they've got some great designs, full tang, military tested/designed, etc. Good luck.
    I don't know. I've heard the guys at Lightfighter talk about the "military testing" which was a small training group that bought a handful. They have not received great reviews by the military guys I've seen.

Strider, for the record, is one of the few that's been issued. I'd also trust an ESEE. Great knives and will be replaced right away if it's damaged or broken, like the Strider. I don't know about Bark River's warranty, they may do the same.

I'm not saying Strider is the right choice, OP, my typing just lead to it. If it is, and you can find one for a good price, look at the EB-LS for a good mid-sized knife. The Mk1 Mod 10, the D9 and the MT Mod 10 are great field knives.

I'm sure you know this, but three companies can use the same steel, s30v for example, and all three will perform differently. Strider uses the Paul Bos heat treat and their s30v has performed better than other s30v knives I've owned. I beat the hell out of my knives and can't find a reason to buy anything else.

I know they're a bit more than you want to spend, but if you can swing it, it's well worth it. If not, I'd look closely at ESEE. Their design is well suited for camping, hunting, batoning, etc. Good luck man.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; 06-16-12 at 22:52.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Swamp Rat Ratmandu? I'm by no means a knife nerd, but I recently handled a buddy's and was convinced. The guy has put the thing through pure hell (such as literally hammering it through a deadbolt lock) and it's still razor sharp. I ordered two the next day, as well as one of their smaller fixed blades. They are right $150 shipped, well under your budget.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post

I'm sure you know this, but three companies can use the same steel, s30v for example, and all three will perform differently.

100% Agreed 100%.....thats the tricky part....knowing or trusting what said manuf. is doing with the materials

Feedback Score
    Strider....

I haven't had anything other than broadcast television for 9 years. It's not that I can't afford cable / dish, but it's about principle. They want too much money for their product.

Thats all.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle*Hound View Post
    Strider....

I haven't had anything other than broadcast television for 9 years. It's not that I can't afford cable / dish, but it's about principle. They want too much money for their product.

Thats all.
    It certainly can be and I'll never argue that someone should feel they're worth their money. They are to me after using them for years and reinforced after I needed to get into an apartment a couple months and didn't have time to get to the car for a pry bar.

If you look around, you;ll find them for good prices. I've seen DB-L's, and similar sized knives from them, for under $200 lightly used.

The fixed blades, in my opinion, is easy to see the value once you've put them to the test. The folders, on the other hand, may not be as noticeable to a lot of guys. I still prefer them, but that's preference.

The Swamp Rat, as mentioned above, is a good knife. ESEE, but you can tell a serious difference between s30v and 1095. Both are good for their uses though.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; 06-17-12 at 08:52.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Emerson Police Utility Knife.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    It certainly can be and I'll never argue that someone should feel they're worth their money. They are to me after using them for years and reinforced after I needed to get into an apartment a couple months and didn't have time to get to the car for a pry bar.

Understood. And my comment wasn't meant to be a shot at Strider...they are the same as many of the high end manufacturers who produce a top notch product and expect top notch payment. It's completely logical and understandable; it's just alot of cash for me to throw down.

I think the biggest issue for me is that there is literally not one shop within 2 hours of me who has anything (guns,knives,gear) worth looking at. If I could actually pick some of this stuff up and hold it, I'm sure I'd be more inclined. But the internet is as close as I can get.

All that being said, 2 months ago I had a $100 budget...now $225...two months from now.?.?.?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast