Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any concerns on Permethrin treated clothing?

Feedback Score
    I will give Permethrin a thumbs up, hell we soaked out ghilles in the stuff to keep all the creepy crawlies out. Since Ft Bragg is pretty much a tick petting zoo.
    Eric Page
    Grey Group Training, LLC
    500 N. Reilly Rd. Suite 114
    Fayetteville, NC 28303
    (w)910.323.4739
    (f)910.426.4740
    www.GreyGroupTraining.com

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys, I have more peace of mind now.

Feedback Score
    FWIW, the Rail Riders line of clothing uses Permethrin and every article that I have bought from them is GTG. Glad to here Permethrin is good stuff.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I use the Sawyer stuff to treat my clothes for my work as a lineman. The routes around here are so thick with ticks that you can literally see them standing on the leaves waiting. The seed ticks are especially bad, and they clump on you by the hundreds. I've used Deet with minimal success, but the Permatherin is awesome. I use about twice as much to treat my clothes as they call for, and the ticks just fall off after about two steps. I suppose that I'll take my chances with permatherin issues, rather than getting Lock Jaw. The skeeters already gave me West Nile two years ago, I don't need Lime Disease if I can help it.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    While in Iraq ther was quite a few of us who got bed bugs. Those are nasty critters if you have never experienced them. We had no clue as to where they came from but it was a full on epidemic. Some were blaming it on bad house keeping but they dropped that BS when they got them.
    After sealing mattresses in plastic, bleaching everything, throwing things away, deet and other chemicals our Corpsman finally got ahold of some yellow powder Permethrin. We powdered our clothing and our entire CHU's. It flat out worked. No more bugs.
    I wouldn't wish Bed Bugs on my worst enemy and it seems so frustrating when you have them at no fault of your own. I wish I would have had Permethrin treated clothes. I got bit by a tick and contracted something. Nauseousness, hurt gut, headache and all. I had to get an excruciating IV of a very strong antibiotic and take a round of antibiotic pills.
    Get the Permethrin!

Feedback Score
    Some links to health info on Permethrin:

http://www.tickinfo.com/permethrin.htm

http://health.thefuntimesguide.com/2..._for_ticks.php
    "Permethrin has low mammalian toxicity, is poorly absorbed through the skin and is rapidly inactivated by the body. Skin reactions have been uncommon. In fact, Permethrin is virtually non-toxic to humans and no systemic effects have been reported. In EPA and FDA tests, it was uncommon to have any skin reddening, rash or other irritation.

Although Permethrin is approved for skin application under certain circumstances such as head lice formulas, it is not applied to skin as a repellent. Permethrin does not bond to skin (stick) and is quickly deactivated by skin’s esterase action into inactive compounds. Because of these attributes Permethrin offers no repellent benefit on skin. It is only effective when used as a clothing treatment."

http://www.travmed.com/health_guide/...to_worry_about
    "Is there any toxicity associated with Permethrin use that I need to worry about? Since Permethrin is not intended for direct use on the skin, there are very few concerns about toxicity. Any Permethrin that might inadvertently get on the skin, however, is very poorly absorbed (less than 2% of the applied dose). Permethrin is rapidly inactivated by skin and liver esterases, and its metabolites are then readily excreted by the kidneys. There is no evidence that Permethrin accumulates in human tissues. Although occupational exposure to large amounts of Permethrin has been associated with transient symptoms of itching, burning, or numbness, these symptoms have not been reported in consumers applying the products to clothing. Studies have not shown Permethrin to be a human teratogen, mutagen, or carcinogen."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Whatever this chemical may do to me I'm fine with. I contracted Lyme & Rocky Mtn at the same time a few years back. The Rocky Mtn cleared up rather quickly, but the Lyme took MONTHS to get halfway back to normal from. Over 6 weeks of antibiotics, absolutely no energy or drive for over 6 months & still to this day I have trouble with circulation, especially limbs going numb. It sucks to be in the middle of a training class I have spend $1,000+ on to attend & to have my strong hand go completely numb. So trust me, the tick bite is worse than any possible effects of the repellent.

Feedback Score
    My hunting group has used Permanone/Permethrin for over 20 years in seed tick infested areas of Tennessee. I've tried the Sawyer but had trouble with inconsistent spray. I've used the Repel brand for years with good results.

Feedback Score
    After getting caught naked in the woods by my relatives, I found this handbook on tick management. It is what turned me on to Permethrin.

www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme/resources/handbook.pdf
    Last edited by cqbdriver; 07-03-12 at 06:29.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cqbdriver View Post
    After getting caught naked in the woods by my relatives, I found this handbook on tick management. It is what turned me on to Permethrin.
    Now that paints a picture I could have done without

Embarassing I'm sure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast