Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Geissele Automatic's new SMR MK1 m4 rail....13" & 15"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Geissele Automatic's new SMR MK1 m4 rail....13" & 15"

Hi gents,

I wanted to go ahead and start this thread due to the fact that these rails are expected to be going hot any day now, and while the buzz surrounding them is certainly palpable....actual info, specs, availability, etc. on them is almost non exisitant thus far. Another thing to note is this first rail I got today I'm sure is now in the category of prototype as it doesn't have the product name on it, nor does it have the built in QD cups. So at any rate, over the next few weeks, you can expect a three part review of these rails from my end, but I wanted to let some of you whom I knew were chomping at the bit for info to get a little more understanding.

Part 1: First look....Geissele's new SMR MK1 m4 rail

This will be the portion I'm posting tonight, and while I hate to direct you guys to a youtube video which I only like to use in my threads as supplemental resources, this almost 10min. long video in full 1080p true HD I believe really depicts the impeccable machine work and top coat finishing on these rails, and more importantly it will serve as a visual guide as to some of the unique things about this rail rather than just trying to verbally type it out.

Part 2: Complete install tutorial via both pictorial instructions in this thread, as well as an install video on youtube. I will be including lots of advice directly from Bill G in this part as well. Lastly I will give overviews of the rifle or rifles I will be building directly around at least one of these rails if not two.

Part 3: Final field and range evaluations and tests....I will be using these rails for light precision builds, and one of these rifles might just have three GA in house core components in it, and the third potential GA component is a pretty darn big deal in my book when it comes to launching MK262 at distances beyond 600-700yds. If this component comes in, there will be copious amounts of factory ammo evals, associated velocity data with them, and LR shooting results.

PART 1: First look

Youtube video....

First look....Geissele's new SMR MK1 m4 rail

ETA...see better thread for info on these rails:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...91#post1521091
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 01-26-13 at 15:20.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Part 2: Install tutorial/build overviews

Before getting started....tips on installation from the man himself, Mr. Geissele:

"Here are quickie installation instructions:

*Remove existing hand guard, flash hider, gas block and stock barrel nut.

*Grease receiver threads with good quality grease or anti seize. Make sure the FACE of the barrel extension is greased where the Geissele bbl nut will tighten down onto

*Install Geissele bbl nut. Use supplied combo pin wrench and torque to 50 ft-lb

*Install low profile gas block and proper gas tube. (no indexing of the barrel nut is needed)

*Slide SMR onto barrel nut. Be careful. There is only .001” of clearance and the rail must be aligned to have the center of the barrel in the center of the rail before slipping it on the bbl nut. I put my fingers at the top of the rail near the muzzle and eyeball alignment to the barrel, then wiggle the rail back and forth until it starts. NO FORCING.

*Once the rail is on the two clamp bolts are installed. Note they only tighten halfway into the threads before getting stiff. There are screw locking inserts that the threads go into and the bolts must be cranked down the rest of the way. Do not tighten fully.

*Now the rail must be indexed to the receiver rail. Take a scope mount and bridge the receiver and rail. Semi tighten the scope mount to bring the SMR into rotational alignment with the receiver rail. (I don’t recommend using a level to align the two components)

*Tighten the two clamp bolts to 10 ft lbs with a 3/8” 12 point socket. Note the cross in the center of the bolt head is designed to use the lug of the weapon bolt to loosen or tighten the clamp bolt in the field.

*Screw the two small nylon tipped setscrews against the receiver. This makes the whole set up bombproof for anti rotation.

*Installation is complete

It is not recommended to loctite the screws that hold the accessory rails on, however if this is a semi-permanent install of the accessory rail, purple #222 loctite can be used (no blue or red) "

Bill also pointed out.....

" One thing. Those torque values are for guidance. People have been tightening bbl nuts without a torque wrench since 1960. Same with the clamp bolts. Torque values are for those who are not used to tightening bolts. "

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Part 3: The final report....evaluations from the field and range

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I like the attention to detail like the contours on the accessory rails and at the front of the top rail. Looks very nice so far.

I'd like to see/hear more about the mount and how robust it is compared to some others like the DD bolt-up, for example.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    looking forward to pics of assembled weapon. There are no pics on his site, or info on pricing no length details either.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I have no idea if this is a paid advertisement or what.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Nice review and video. Do you work as a mime by any chance?

Do you have the weight of handguard + barrel nut?

Also where do the anti-rotational screws go in?

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Great pics.

Could we get some specs like diameters and weight?

Feedback Score
    Beautiful, Trident! Excellent review.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Suweeet.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast