Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how many of you eat what you kill/grow?

Feedback Score
    I eat what I kill, but I don't do any gardening.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    We have a small garden and grow tomatoes, peppers, squash cucumbers and a few herbs. I hunt as much as possible and unless I'm shooting coyote or some other varmint I won't shoot what I won't eat. We hunt waterfowl, turkey, deer, hogs and upland birds. I try to keep a freezer full of wild game most of the year. Usually start running out around early August. I've also taught my kids the same values and they eagerly help out with both the garden and love to hunt.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    We keep a small garden in the backyard, and the freezer is usually stocked with an assortment of wild game.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I'm on board with this, not 100% but we eat a lot of deer and we have a vegie garden. I found that we were not eating most of the deer in the past but then I found a sausage maker about 7 miles away and now its like I cant shoot enough.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    We don’t garden but know a number of people that do. I'm thinking of starting in the future. I’ve hunted since I was 14 years old. With a few exceptions we’ve always eaten what we kill. Deer, antelope, elk, rabbits, squirrels, turkey, raccoon, quail, pheasant and dove grace our table at various times. Like you, we were taught to respect the game and to take only what you need. I loved to duck hunt years ago but never developed a taste for it so we no longer hunt them. About the only thing I’ve killed over the years that we didn’t eat have been pests, such as ground hogs and prairie dogs, or coyotes. I was always taught that killing for killing’s sake was wrong.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I eat what I kil quail and duck really but this year I am going to get into deer california sucks for hunting!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've got a couple of raised beds that provide the bulk of my summer and fall veggies.
    Planning on trying my hand St canning this fall and then expanding with more raised beds next year.
    I hunt as much as I can but am limited with time so small game graces my plate more often than large. Squirrel and rabbit are often overlooked on public land so I can get my hands on them easily.
    I haven't shot a deer in a long time time due to my time constraints at work (mostly Saturdays only off and no hunting on Sunday in VA). In addition to developing relationships with landowners for deer hunting land I'm hoping to pick up a used muzzle loader this year and extend my season by three weeks. I'd love a crossbow but them suckers are expensive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have always been fortunate to hunt ducks with guys that hate eating ducks... I get to keep all the ducks unfortunately they also refuse to clean them if they give them to me and they drink at the end of the day while I clean and pluck and clean and pluck

For the record they give them to a food bank or friends if I do not take them I would never hunt with someone that tossed their game.
    Last edited by M4Fundi; 07-02-12 at 21:47.
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    M4fundi. Where are you? I'm a duck hunting addict. Maybe we can hook up next season

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    TX. I am more of an Upland Bird addict, but I love eating ducks and hunting them. In MT we hunted ducks & geese in fields, lakes and rivers (hate rivers always scared of losing a dog) and I only ever got to hunt once there in an actual wetland which looked like an overgrown with brush ice rink (it was an experience) and I haven't done any "proper" duck hunting in TX in about 15 yrs (in E. TX and LA), so far all I've managed here since I got back is jumping them on tanks. I do miss calling them in or better yet having someone better than me call them in I've always wanted to hunt ducks on the coast which I have never done.

How do y'all hunt them in your AO?

My boy's first duck hunt in MT
    Not liking his hat

Ah screw the hat
    Last edited by M4Fundi; 07-03-12 at 06:10.
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast