Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how many of you eat what you kill/grow?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    We use a variety of setups. I've hunted over huge spreads of divers on big lakes here, 4 or 5 dekes in beaver ponds, typical setups in impoundments, field hunting for geese and even layout hunting on our coast for sea ducks. We get a good variety of different types of waterfowling. Most of what I do though is small pond and impoundment hunts. I love to upland hunt also. Very little wild bird hunting here. Quail habitat was ruined by the farming practices here. I have a few areas with wild birds but do not have a upland dog. I have 2 labs and they are all waterfowlers and flushers. Good looking dog you have there!

Feedback Score
    Thought about hydroponics/aquaponics, but got turned off, when 90% of the websites, were geared toward growing "herbs," that you probably don't want on your salad.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I don't particularly care for venison so I quit deer hunting many years ago. Grow things? I'd have to ask my wife, but that's not likely in the cards either. We're consumers. And there's a grocery store right down the road.

Feedback Score
    Most people are consumers and I just feel that eating what you kill/grow satisfies some primitive desires.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jc75754 View Post
    Most people are consumers and I just feel that eating what you kill/grow satisfies some primitive desires.
    I'm ok with just putting it on my Visa card.

Feedback Score
    My wife is having a very successful garden this year. She has become quite skilled at it. Lots of fresh vegetables & herbs. I recommend the hanging tomatoes. I built a 4x4 frame to support them. Last year's garden was a dud.

Feedback Score
    I kill/eat deer, rabbit, squirrels (when warbles are not present), mourning dove, and wild turkey. I shoot a lot of groundhogs/coyotes to help the local farmers who allow me to hunt all edible game I have listed above. We also garden and can/freeze.

I can honestly say I have never purchased a pound of beef because we raise our own Holsteins/jerseys. Hogs are a new venture in my family, and it has been interesting. I will say this, all meat I have eaten that has been killed or raised on the farm tastes vastly different from store purchased meat(eaten at friends or families) or restaurants.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I eat every bit of it. Pheasant is a particular favorite of mine.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    We eat produce from our own garden fairly regularly. Much of the meat we eat comes from deer my sons and I have shot or from feral hogs. However, my sons and I also shoot close to 60 hogs a year. I give a few away to folks that want them but there is no way I can eat/use that many hogs.

For us it isn't about "thrill killing"- it's simply a management decision. A single feral sow will be responsible for 2000 offspring in her lifetime. They are a menace to agriculture and with no natural predators only by killing every one we see can their numbers be kept in any kind of balance. It is an unfortunate fact that more of them cannot be utilized as they can be good eating but I will say that the practice has made my kids deadly field marksman and that is worth something by itself.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    We hunt (moose/caribou/black bear) and we fish (salmon/halibut), but we don't garden. Most gardeners I know are so tied to their gardens they don't have time to hunt and fish. My friends that are gardeners trade me for meat

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast