Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Zen of the 100 Yard Zero

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bullittmcqueen View Post
    Thanks again F2S for this excellent post. I just wanted to ask if it's ok to paraphrase some of the information for a blog post I am doing, with acknowledgements to F2S right up front of course.

Thanks again Jack.
    Go right on ahead.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wake.joe View Post
    Well, first of all, I did not see anyone mention it in the thread and thought it would be relevant to the conversation.

The video does a great job of "Summing up" each of the different zero ranges.
    You are free to post whatever you want, wherever you want, however, there are several threads out there, one of which I directly link to in the initial post, that discuss the different zeroes and their trajectories, and how people suppose that one may be better in one regard to another.

This thread is my summation of the advantages that I have noted and the reasoning that I use to support my strong preference for a 100 meter zero after using quite a few different ones in every application between range plinking and combat. I really don't care who prefers what, or who uses a 100 meter zero, or if anyone else even cares. This was originally posted on my website, and I decided to put it here so I wouldn't have to refer people off-site, and the response from members was great enough to get it stickied. Use what you want when you want where you want, I'm not saying that anyone is wrong or that anyone should do it this way, but I implore that people make a decision based on what they do with their guns and not what other people do with their guns, and get out and actually shoot.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It wasn't meant to say "Well -this- guy does xxx!!!"

I just (incorrectly) thought it would be relevant. Talking about hold overs, I thought some input about not having any hold overs to your 300 yard mark would be interesting.

Sorry to shit in your thread.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wake.joe View Post
    It wasn't meant to say "Well -this- guy does xxx!!!"

I just (incorrectly) thought it would be relevant. Talking about hold overs, I thought some input about not having any hold overs to your 300 yard mark would be interesting.

Sorry to shit in your thread.
    Sorry if I came across that way, not my intent. Sometimes my desire to be concise and direct can come across as terse.

Your comment of "I use a 100 yard zero for xxx, and a 300 yard zero with my TR24, due to reticle design for xxx" are certainly pertinent.

There ain't no perfect solution for everything, and that perspective might be helpful for someone with similar application of a similar optic.

I was simply noting that the thread was not intended as a cumulative list of different zeroes and their applications, but rather a focused one on a specific envelope of use.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    @F2S:

What group size do you find acceptable in terms of adjusting POI?
    It's not about surviving, it's about winning!

Feedback Score
    Good thread.

I've used the 100 meter zero before and liked it, but ended up transitioning to the 50/200 because I found 5.56 trajectories with that zero more closely matched easily identifiable 300-400-500 yard holdover points with my nightforce's FC-2 reticle. I went ahead and started using the 50/200 with the other AR's as well, to maintain consistency.

Much hay is made WRT different zeros, however I believe the zero itself isn't as important as knowing and properly applying the holdover/unders for your particular chosen zero. I would agree that the 100 meter zero is probably the simplest and easiest for a RDS equipped carbine.

Much as mission drives the gear, in my case optics(or more specifically, reticle) drove the zero. As always, YMMV.
    Last edited by eesmith4; 09-27-12 at 19:00.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I wanted to post two things in follow-up here:

1. First, I experienced first hand last weekend the benefit of the 100 yd zero, over what I had been previously using, the 50/~200. The 3-gun match I shot in had a max range of 100 yards on some 6 inch steel gongs. Naturally, since I was zeroed for 100, this was no problem. Some of the other guys I observed having some serious problems with hold offs. I was fortunate enough to win that stage overall even though I was using a non-magnified Aimpoint M2, over a lot of shooters using variable low-power optics.

2. If you use the 100 yard zero, you can very easily calculate hold offs for any distance using the Knights Bullet-Flight app for iphone and driods. I was already using this app for dope on scoped rifles, and it works just as easily if you create a new ballistic diagram for your optic. I created one for an Aimpoint which tells me inches of crop for any distance. Just thought I would pass it on. It's been very helpful to me when shooting past 100 yards with the M2.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bulle...300903039?mt=8

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    has any one had the chance to play with this zero past 100 yards with typical hunting/tac/duty style ammunition?

things like mk318,75grotm's, 62and70 gr tsx's, 64gr soft points, 62gr sp?? i have a strong 100yard zero with ssa 64gr ppt but really have no idea whats its doing past 100 yards as i have no access to ranges past 100 yards. sad, i know.

just wondering how "off" the results become when switching bullet weights and styles. and of course with different weigh comes different velocity, bc's, ext....

f2s, i know there is no way to give any sort of definitive answer on what an unknown load will do at distance without physically doing it.

but can we say......most bullet weights and styles coming out of 14.5-16" barrels will have similar results??
    Last edited by kenndapp; 11-01-12 at 09:37.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks to all that have supported this thread.
    It has been an excellent resource to me.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenndapp View Post
    has any one had the chance to play with this zero past 100 yards with typical hunting/tac/duty style ammunition?

things like mk318,75grotm's, 62and70 gr tsx's, 64gr soft points, 62gr sp?? i have a strong 100yard zero with ssa 64gr ppt but really have no idea whats its doing past 100 yards as i have no access to ranges past 100 yards. sad, i know.

just wondering how "off" the results become when switching bullet weights and styles. and of course with different weigh comes different velocity, bc's, ext....

-images snipped-

f2s, i know there is no way to give any sort of definitive answer on what an unknown load will do at distance without physically doing it.

but can we say......most bullet weights and styles coming out of 14.5-16" barrels will have similar results??
    These are general guidelines, based on 16" barrels launching 62 grain bullets.
    My classes shoot out to at least 275 yards, preferably out to 300 meters, on BCC or smaller sized targets. Some of the shooters use barrels as short as 8.5", and while their holds are more drastic than the average, they are more similar to the guideline than not. Still, to be good at it, you need to do it.

Remember that there will always be some degree of offset during zeroing, and that slight deviation will be more apparent at long range.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast