Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Zen of the 100 Yard Zero

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you are running a Matech BUIS which does not have a 100m setting, how would you go about zeroing it at 100?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearedHot View Post
    If you are running a Matech BUIS which does not have a 100m setting, how would you go about zeroing it at 100?
    You could just set it at "200", and do the front sight adjustment necessary to bring it to POA/POI at 100. However, given the utility of that sight, I would either go for a zero that allowed me to maintain distance adjustments as marked or go to an alternate design.

Another however:
    I prefer my irons to have a 50 or 200 meter zero (depending on what distance I have available). I like the amount of target that can be seen over the sight at mid-range, though this introduces different rules on holds with one sighting system. I zero at 100 meters, but with POI between 2 and 3 inches above POA, and then confirm drop at range on steel.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Nicely presented and laid out, thank you.

Feedback Score
    For my first reply as a new member, I must say I enjoyed and appreciate the well explained 100M zero concept and application. As one of the biggest users of small arms in the world, the US Army does a VERY poor job of teaching arms skills to the masses, unless part of specialized training. They have really missed the boat on the little things that could have saved many lives in combat. Fortunately, with the conflicts that we have been involved in, in the 11+ years, they have become somewhat less risk adverse than in the past allowing Soldiers to actually train in CQB with live ammo, etc. Hopefully, they ramp it up more.

I am case in point with this article. My most recent deployment, I received the latest Army training. Have been in for a long, long time and am competent in weaponry but was not over whelmed with the training but did appreciate the most aggressive cqb I have received since I have been in.

Long story short, it wasn't until I got to Afghanistan and our 5 man team, one of which was a weapons instructor, scheduled weekly and extensive range time. This is where I learned to really become confident, accurate and effective with my M4. Coincidentally, it is also why I recently bought my first one . We zeroed our weapons at about 25 yds, as the FOB range did not allow more. When doing our cqb, stress shoots, etc at <25 yds- I noticed that my shots were always low by a couple inches so I had to consciously put my CCO red dot a couple inches above the desired target. I got very good at doing it, but had we own this info, it could make all the difference in the world in critical situation. I look forward to getting out to the range armed with this new info. Thanks and sorry for the long winded post!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I feel a little retarded when I read some of this stuff. why, when we can see that a 50/200m zero keeps our rounds within 2" POA/POI out ot well over 200m, do more shooters not use the 50/200m zero? Am I really missing something important here?

Feedback Score
    Odds are your 50m zero and your 200m zero are two different zeroes. Just something to keep in mind.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kastl View Post
    I feel a little retarded when I read some of this stuff. why, when we can see that a 50/200m zero keeps our rounds within 2" POA/POI out ot well over 200m, do more shooters not use the 50/200m zero? Am I really missing something important here?
    Here's one (or a few) reasons why...

http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/12/12-days-of-zero.html

Feedback Score
    Why mess with hold unders AND hold overs for the 50/kinda200-dependent-on-ammo when you can learn one simple set of hold overs and still keep poi/poa on a 3" circle out to 200M with the 100M zero? That second zero with 50/200 isn't 200M on the nuts, so you're throwing in the variable of your skill at range estimation to pick an over or under.

On a human sized target using the 100M zero, if a 2MOA dot doesn't cover the whole head assume a POA/POI of nuts to -3", if the dot matches the head size assume 200-250M and aim at the neck for center mass hits, if your dot obscures the head then cover the head and get a center mass hit. If your dot obscures most of or the whole body, you have more variables than just drop over distance to worry about. No guessing where that second zero is and if you'll hit high or low, you'll always have POI under POA and never over.

But I kill paper pictures, they never hide or use cover.
    Last edited by DieselCowboy; 01-03-13 at 21:47.

Feedback Score
    Kyle makes some great points as usual. We're very blessed to have guys like him, Larry, Jason and others around.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nml View Post
    Odds are your 50m zero and your 200m zero are two different zeroes. Just something to keep in mind.
    You are correct & I am aware of this, I was oversimplifying my question. I was referring to either a 50m or a 200m zero, which are close to each other, but not the same thing. I apologize for making myself look less well informed than I already am. I joined here to learn & appreciate your clarification.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast