Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Zen of the 100 Yard Zero

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to make this thread F2S. In-depth explanations like this are truly appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Will do. Printed, laminated and in the "Big Black Book of Guns and Stuff".

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    You are more than welcome to use it, just throw M4Carbine.net and F2S a kind word while you do .
    This soldier should not be allowed North of the Light Line.
    CPT HM

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    Recently converted from the 50/200m zero to the 100m zero after reading this article. The images using a red dot on a torso sized target are excellent.

I've been able to reach out a little further with my 10.5"/T-1 combo more intuitively now.

Jack, thanks again for doing this write up and answering my questions in the other thread a few months back!
    Last edited by MrSmitty; 06-20-12 at 11:54.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Great information. I have been using the 50/200m zero, but i will be switching after reading this.

Feedback Score
    I have been using the 50/200 as well. After reading this I believe that I am going to give the 100 meter zero a try.
    We are the first Warrior class in any Civilization to be provided with weapons and no belief system...... Dave Smith

Feedback Score
    Someone please sticky this thread

Feedback Score

Great info

Great info!

Just as a compare and contrast, could you post the same pictures and diagrams with the 50/200 zero also. It would help me visualize the difference

If it's not too much trouble

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC527 View Post
    Great info!

Just as a compare and contrast, could you post the same pictures and diagrams with the 50/200 zero also. It would help me visualize the difference

If it's not too much trouble
    Seems like that might get confusing. There is another thread on the 50/200 zero.
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Jack, awesome write-up, thanks for taking the time to compile and post this data.

A couple of questions about zeroing: What do you think of zeroing 1 round at a time with a 1 minute pause between rounds fired?

The last few times out to zero my ARs I've loaded only 1 round into the magazine, fired and left the bolt open, loaded another round into the mag and fired again after about a 1 minute pause. I repeated this until I have shot 3-5 rounds before making adjustments. Do you see any negatives to zeroing in this manner? (I shoot a free floated hand guard on both my ARs, if that helps you to answer the questions)

It does seem that when I do this my groups are tighter because the barrel does not heat up too much between rounds as it would by loading 5 at a time and firing them at a faster pace....thus I think it helps with shooting a more consistent group. Or am I just imagining things?

I usually end my zeroing session by loading 5 rounds at a time and shooting three 5 round groups to check my results....and so far I've been pleased with the overall results.

Your input, or input from others, would be appreciated.
    Maker of: "The TALON" Pocket Video Camera Mount.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunzilla View Post
    A couple of questions about zeroing: What do you think of zeroing 1 round at a time with a 1 minute pause between rounds fired?

The last few times out to zero my ARs I've loaded only 1 round into the magazine, fired and left the bolt open, loaded another round into the mag and fired again after about a 1 minute pause. I repeated this until I have shot 3-5 rounds before making adjustments. Do you see any negatives to zeroing in this manner? (I shoot a free floated hand guard on both my ARs, if that helps you to answer the questions)
    Zero procedure is REALLY shooter dependent. Some guys who aren't so consistent do need to put 3-5 rounds on target so that a center-point can be established and adjusted from. If there's 4-5 MOA between shots and you try to adjust off of 1 or 2 rounds you're going to end up chasing ghosts on paper and getting nowhere fast.

Others are able to do "one round adjust," because they're consistent shooters who are able to call their shots and make adjustments off of single rounds - saving time and ammunition. So it really varies based on experience. Of course final zero confirmation should be multiple rounds.

As for your other question of loading one round and waiting a minute between shots - whatever works for you, but this is generally inadvisable.

You're likely changing position, taking your cheek off the stock, and in general doing a lot to interfere with grip, cheek-weld, body position, pretty much everything that breeds consistency and translates to tight groups. IMO you're far better off loading up a 28 round magazine so that the gun balances as it would during normal carry (don't underestimate the effects of balance and pivot point on POI). Instead of waiting a long time between shots, fire rounds at a moderate and comfortable cadence, focusing on consistent body position, sight alignment, and point of aim between rounds (and don't forget to breathe!). I think you'll learn to see better results this way, and your zero process will look a whole lot more like regular shooting - which is always a good thing.
    Last edited by a0cake; 06-20-12 at 21:56.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast