Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the best way to get burnt on powder off of a stainless gun?

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

What is the best way to get burnt on powder off of a stainless gun?

I purchased a supposedly lightly used Ruger GP100 stainless, off of someone that hadn't properly cleaned the gun after firing some dirty, dirty ammunition.

I've pulled out some cleaners but they aren't making a dent. I need something with some serious power that won't damage the finish.

Thanks
    Last edited by SW-Shooter; 06-22-12 at 17:02.

Feedback Score
    Where is the powder? If what you are talking about is around the forcing cone and front of the cylinder, in my experience a toothbrush, cleaning cloths and regular solvent will get rid of the caked-on buildup. If it is just carbon staining, don't worry about it. You will just muck it up again the next time you shoot it and it will drive you nuts until you decide not to care.

If you really want to get carbon staining off and start fresh, a lead-away cloth will do the trick fairly quickly, but IIRC you will want to use it sparingly because it is mildly abrasive.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Actually it is more burnt on. Simple gun cleaning isn't working.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Lead Wipes used to be an excellent product. I have not bought any in years so I do not know if they still make it. I have used green brillo type pads around the forcing cone as well as brushes and solvents. Works well.

If it is for around the cylinder, you may have to rub the whole cylinder eventually just to even out the brushed look.
    Last edited by Hogsgunwild; 06-22-12 at 16:12.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    A Birchwood Casey Lead Remover Cloth will get the carbon buildup off of the gun. You'll need to put a little muscle into it, but it works.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

-Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Last edited by accce; 06-22-12 at 20:56.

Feedback Score
    Believe it or not, a pencil eraser will work surprisingly well in removing baked-on carbon.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Flitz works. I think there are new bio friendly flea nears out there now that are more effective.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Very good responses, off to buy some pencils. Flitz will have to be off of the internet.

Feedback Score
    Stainless steel pot scrubbers, not the galvanized ones they will leave a gray streak on the finish.I use the stainless steel scrubbers on my blued C&R guns and the pot scrubbers work great to take carbon, staining and surface rust
    Last edited by hunter_usmc; 06-23-12 at 18:50.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast