Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the best way to get burnt on powder off of a stainless gun?

Feedback Score
    Remclean & a stiff nylon brush.

Feedback Score
    A little more info you can go to Brownells and buy gun scrubber/cleaning pads for $14.00 or get the same thing (Stainless steel pot scrubbers) at the dollar store

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    RB-17 was what I used to use on my J frame. Apply and let sit for 20 minutes. Then clean like normal. The ammonia in it stinks to high hell but it cleans very well.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    I have found that "Pink Pearl" brand erasers [ not just pink erasers ] work best for getting most, if not all, of the carbon off. You can get them at Office Depot, Staples, Ofc Max, etc. They work real well in the corners. After I've removed most of the carbon with the eraser I use Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish. It makes the SS look like new.
    Why not just use the Mothers polish, you might ask? I found, for me, the carbon is removed easier if I first use the eraser. The process is quick and easy. The Mothers will also keep your Stainless Steel as bright as you want it to be.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    M-Pro 7 gun cleaner used to use a picture of a revolver cylinder with what I think you are describing you are trying to get off (as a before shot). The after shot (photo) makes the gun look new.

I have not tried it on that sort of thing but that is what they were claiming in their promo literature.

If you try it, "Hoppes Elite" gun cleaner (must be ELITE, not just HOPPES) is basically the same stuff as M-Pro 7, made by the same people but sold under Hoppes name and marketed to sportsmen and target shooters instead of the police/military/hunters of M-Pro 7.

Wal Mart (used to) carries/carry Hoppes Elite if you wanted to try it out on it.

--
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use the lead away cloths on the cylinder faces,especially if there is any lead,but it removes carbon build up nicely.
    I wrap them around a small block and go lightly until it's cleaned

I just got a new one after years of using the old one.It had been in the gunshop for years and the dealer just gave it to me.It was not dried out as he expected it might be.I'll give him the five bucks next time I go in.
    A fine is a tax for doing wrong.A tax is a fine for doing well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteadyUp View Post
    A Birchwood Casey Lead Remover Cloth will get the carbon buildup off of the gun. You'll need to put a little muscle into it, but it works.
    This. Just don't use it on a blued gun unless you also want to remove the finish.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    0000 steel wool works pretty well on the stainless steel....it should remove the powder build up

Feedback Score
    I use a copper bristle brush. It doesn’t mess up the finish as it's softer than the stainless steel but it still gets the staining off quite well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pisc1024 View Post
    I use a copper bristle brush. It doesn’t mess up the finish as it's softer than the stainless steel but it still gets the staining off quite well.
    That's what I do. I was looking at my revolvers and realized I didn't clean two of them and they had that staining. It came off easily with a little WD40 and the brush.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast