Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Brass Usage Viability?- Explanatory Pics Included

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

Used Brass Usage Viability?- Explanatory Pics Included

I'm not really sure what to even search for here, so I'm just going to spit it out-

Since picking up a reloading setup, even though I have yet to reload a single round, I have become a total brass whore- every time I see that golden glimmer I usually end up making an immediate involuntary lunge in its general direction.
    I have happily ammased quite a stockpile of the stuff, but here's the question-

How do I know if the cases are any good? I have everything from near perfect cases to stuff that's just flat squished.
    Now, I'm still a reloading noob, and I know that you do a resize on the cases before you load them, but how much damage can a case have to it before it won't work?
    Asside from damage to the mouth, what about dents and creases in the side if the case?

Below are some pics of .45 pistol and .223 rifle brass, in varying states of damage- order is best to worst= left to right.
    If you fine fellows could tell me from the pictures what's worth using/keeping I would really appreciate it.
    I'm assuming whatever is good to go with these two would be good with any other caliber?

Rifle brass:

Pistol brass:

"Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There doesn't seem to be anything to worry about with those pieces of brass. I've salvaged worse. If you ever get anything with an odd chambering that requires you to make your own brass you'll see worse.

I look for any cracks, splits at the case mouth or any holes in the brass. Small dents like you are showing look like they may have been received during ejection or someone stepped on them.
    I like franks & beans

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    .223, shoot it five times, then recycle the brass.

.45, shoot it till the mouth splits!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great question as I'm in the same boat as you as a newbie reloader.

Now take what I offer with a grain of salt, as I read more than have any practical knowledge.

I did some researching and some advice offered was for most case mouth dents, a punch (or such) can be used to first "resize/bend" the mouth back to somewhat circular - so the resizer die will clear. Then the resizing die will iron it out pretty well.

The dents to the case sides I don't know. Would it be enough to increase pressure?

In preparation for my first reloads, I have been scavaging and bought some once fired brass. For stuff I'm a little sketchy on, till I learn more, I just throw it in recycling bin.

I'm looking forward to the pro's showing up to chime in.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    How do I know if the cases are any good? I have everything from near perfect cases to stuff that's just flat squished.
    Now, I'm still a reloading noob, and I know that you do a resize on the cases before you load them, but how much damage can a case have to it before it won't work?
    As long as it's not split or showing obvious signs of stretching at the web and it holds a primer, you can usually keep using it.
    Having said that, if you don't know what the obvious signs are, you need to do more reading...
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Tumble 'em, size 'em, and see what you get. Some times all those dents and dings will come out, some won't.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Univibe View Post
    .223, shoot it five times, then recycle the brass.

.45, shoot it till the mouth splits!
    I have shot .223 more than that. I run it through the trimmer every cycle and load it till it splits. There is no magic number.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    Yep size /trim and reload. First time should remove those dents! As long as the primer fit snug and it has no cracks /splits reload them!

Feedback Score
    Just make sure you don't run into this problem...

The bottom one is what comes out of your chamber after the case seperates, leaving the front half in the chamber and then a live round is shoved into it.
    Thankfully, the gun will not go into battery so the gun stops until you clear the problem.
    Last edited by AR15barrels; 06-28-12 at 19:37.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Yep size /trim and reload. First time should remove those dents! As long as the primer fit snug and it has no cracks /splits reload them!
    Tumble 'em, size 'em, and see what you get.
    Quote Originally Posted by AR15barrels View Post
    As long as it's not split or showing obvious signs of stretching at the web and it holds a primer, you can usually keep using it.
    I see. Will just have to see what happens with them then.
    Hopefully will be picking up some tumbling media soon, so I can at least try some case prep.

Having said that, if you don't know what the obvious signs are, you need to do more reading...
    Yeah I know- I usually do, but let's just say since picking up that reloading set about a year ago, I ran into monetary issues, and this particular project got temporarily shelved.
    I just wanted an opinion on the brass I have continued to collect in the meantime.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 06-29-12 at 00:43.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast