Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300blk for hunting?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

300blk for hunting?

Anyone use this round for hunting? Was thinking about purchasing for javelina and deer, just wondering if anyone has any experience.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Some great info here. http://m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=91

What will your max ranges be?
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Range would be dependent on the round. I was wanting to do an ar10, but I was thinking I might be able to get out cheaper with the 300. I am just unsure of the round for hunting.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There are also more accounts in the Beyond 5.56 section. The .300 Blk will work well for both deer and pigs as long as you are realistic about it. I think the new Barnes round will be the best choice for me this fall.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Works well for deer and hogs, however much like the 30/30 you have to realize its not the best for reaching out past 300yds.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    I plan to use my 300 for hog hunting in October

Feedback Score
    I too am going to use the 300 this fall for deer and maybe hog. To me it makes better sense than 223.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    What barrel length?

The beauties of the 300 blackout are it's preformances out of a shorter barrel and success in being suppressed.

I may be terribly wrong, but it's something like 300 blackout ballistics from a 9" barrel equal 5.56 ballistics from a 16" barrel. So, obviously shooting 300 blk from a 16" barrel will get you up to a very decent hunting round for deer sized game, even thick skinned hoggies.

Are you planning on hunting suppressed though?
    Last edited by matemike; 07-24-12 at 20:46.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    What barrel length?

The beauties of the 300 blackout are it's preformances out of a shorter barrel and success in being suppressed.

I may be terribly wrong, but it's something like 300 blackout ballistics from a 9" barrel equal 5.56 ballistics from a 16" barrel. So, obviously shooting 300 blk from a 16" barrel will get you up to a very decent hunting round for deer sized game, even thick skinned hoggies.

Are you planning on hunting suppressed though?
    I am not planning to hunt supressed with my 16" but will ideally get a suppressor this winter. As far as I know one cannot hunt in NC supressed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use two .300 Blk's. One is rigged for night hog hunting, one for daytime/stalking for hogs or deer.

They are ideal for medium size game at 200 yards or less but can be used out to 300 yards, however, there is quite a bit of bullet drop after 200 yards.

I use Nosler 125 gr ballistic tip, or 110 gr Barnes Tac-Tx rounds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast