Thread: New (mainly Vltor) build...for training/3G/Home Defense

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

New (mainly Vltor) build...for training/3G/Home Defense

The build in this thread is not completely new. The upper, BCG, and barrel I've had for quite some time but I decided to change some things around on it.
    I am seeing alot of threads that say I have such and such component but not explaining WHY they use it so here is my attempt at a remedy for that.
    I'll start with the parts and try to give a brief description of why I am using said parts:

Lower:

-Vltor lower receiver
    -Vltor A5 system
    -Gen 1 LMT SOPMOD
    -ACT ALG trigger
    -Magpul BAD lever
    -Redi-Mod
    -Mapul ASAP
    -KAC trigger guard
    -Magpul MIAD

Upper
    -Daniel Defense 16" carbine length barrel
    -Vltor Mur 1A
    -Magpul MBUS Gen 1
    -Aimpoint T1 (4 MOA)
    -Larue LT660 mount for above
    -Surefire M600 Scout
    -Larue LT752 off set mount for above
    -Magpul MOE vertical grip (trimmed to handstop length)
    -Battlecomp 1.0
    -BCM Gunfighter
    -Vltor low profile set screw gas block
    -Centurion Arms 12" rail
    -Surefire ladder rail covers

1. Lower-VLTOR
    Honestly I am not picky about lowers but I want one from a manufacturer of known quality. As I happen to be somewhat of VLTOR junkie and DSG had them in stock, off my money went. Also I did not want a Billet lower b/c I wanted the option of running a Redi-Mag (more on that later).

2. VLTOR A5
    If you've ran one they kinda speak for themselves. A noticeable difference in smoothness of the rifle. Not dramatic but noticeable. As a side benefit I've noticed that the 'thump' that is felt as the bolt is locked back to the rear on last round is more pronounced. It's a nice benefit but doesn't really help me that much. Might be different if wearing alot of kit. Just speculation though.

3. MIAD grip (smooth front/large backstrap)
    Fits my hand perfect and places my long booger picker perfectly on the trigger.

4. KAC trigger guard
    While running some one hand manipulations with the rifle I like to place my trigger finger under and slightly on the side of the trigger guard for added leverage on the gun. It helps with control of the rifle but that 90 degree angle on trigger guards can really cut into my finger. Because of the KAC's 45 +/- cuts on their guard my finger doesn't dig into the trigger guard if that makes sense.

5. BAD lever
    They're controversial I know but I use them. I've found problems using them on cheaper lowers and LPK's but never with quality lowers and LPK's. This must be mentioned though, b/c of the thickness of the Vltor billet upper it is thicker than a mil-spec upper and can cause the back of the BAD lever to rub against the upper. This is an older picture I took before shaving down the back of the BAD lever. You can see that to the right of the bolt release recess where the BAD would rub the upper (looks like an inverted triangle).

This caused the bolt to not lock to rear on last round on occasion. I shaved it down to where it clears and has full range of motion and problem solved.
    I still hit the bolt release when doing emergency reloads and the extra surface area can help me 'find' the button easier sometimes when my thumb isn't perfectly placed.
    I do use them for clearing certain malfunctions and as I've mentioned in other thread it makes life easier at matches while showing the R.O. that your weapon is clear. Also I am running/experimenting currently with a Redi-Mod and these two pieces of gear go hand in hand.
    6. Redi-Mod
    As Yoda would say, "Eyeballing one of these I have yes". I've wanted to try one of these out for years. I like the concept of having 56 rounds directly on the gun instead of 28. I'll leave the Surefire mag/Redi-Mag debate for someone else but I will say this. I chose the Redi-Mod over the Surefire purely for the reason of the possibility of a malfunction.
    I found the Redi-Mod at a local gun store. The guy at the counter didn't even know what it was. I asked him to see the box that said Blue Force Gear on it and he said they've had it in stock for about a year and a half. Needless to say I got a great deal on it. The Redi-Mod isn't a permanent part of the rifle but you never know.
    But I must say....weight...it does add (obviously). But the trade is worth it having the extra rounds on board. Or is it? That's why I've got one to try out.

7. ACG trigger
    I am a milspec trigger kind of guy. On top of that I just can't seem to fork over the dough for a high speed trigger that cost $200 or more. For the purpose this gun will be used for a HSLD trigger just isn't worth the extra dough for me.
    There is nothing fancy about this trigger but it just feels like a well worn in quality milspec trigger. Just what I like.

8. ASAP
    Simple and effective design and transitions to the other shoulder are a breeze.

9. SOPMOD stock
    There are two stocks I like in this world. The MOD series from VLTOR and the SOPMOD. Both are simple designs and no/few frills (especially the SOPMOD) and both have sloped cheek pieces which I prefer. Honestly I like both just as much but this one just happens to wear the SOPMOD. I tried the ACS and I can't really put it into words but I just didn't like it. The STR is next on my list.

10. Upper VLTOR
    There are supposed to be slight gains in improvement in the accuracy department with this upper but I know I'll never see it the way I run this rifle. I just wanted something different and of known quality.

11. BCM BCG
    One of the industry standards. Enough said

12. Daniel Defense 16" carbine length government profile barrel.
    Guess I am not cool enough yet to be running a mid-length. I would've like to have gotten a middy for this build but I already had this laying around and with the A5 and Battlecomp (or my FSC556) this gun is smooth as is. Plus as mentioned with other parts its quality from a quality manufacturer.

13. Gunfighter CH
    The industry standard and I haven't had any problems like some have with the 'pinching effect'.

14. Magpul MBUS
    Honestly I am using these b/c I had them laying around as well. I will be switching in a couple of weeks to a Troy (or KAC,haven't decided) rear with a DD fixed front. I have noticed while shooting from certain positions and without a perfect cheekweld I can find the dot slightly faster by using the front sight post as a reference point.

15. Battlecomp 1.0
    I am honestly torn between this thing and my FSC556 and I am not sure which one I'll put on there for the long haul. They both offer advantages in certain areas. My one complaint (if you want to call it that) is that the rifle tips down and to the right slightly but it is still quite flat shooting and doesn't kick up nearly the amount of debris the FSC does while shooting close to the ground. What the FSC does is spoil me rotten by how flat the rifle shoots.
    On this build I did clock the Battlecomp to about 1 or 1:30 so we'll see what effect this has on 'where the dot tracks'.

16. Aimpoint Micro T1 with LaRue LT660
    My favrote optic. Light, durable, and easily adjustable brightness setting. This is the older not as cool 4 MOA version. The LT660 b/c I prefer a lower 1/3 cowitness.

17. Centurion Arms 12" rail
    Not sold on tube rails yet. They are nice especially Noveske's NSR but the one's I have used heat up quite fast. Plus my hands are so large that the width of a rail doesn't really bother me that much. But there is a self-relative point to where they can feel too wide and thats why I prefer Surefire's ladder rail covers. They are the thinnest covers you can put on a rail and almost flush with each rail lug. I haven't tried LaRue's index clips yet (will be soon) but judging from pics the Surefire covers look thinner.
    Back on the rail choice: I like long rails as many do b/c I want the ability to extend the support arm out for better control but also have the real estate to mount lights, BUIS, etc. I also like the fact that with the Centurion you can use the stock barrel nut (RANDALL OF AR15 BARRELS....THANK YOU!!). No more trying to find proprietary tools that can be hard to track down and sometimes too freaking expensive. This is the main reason why I didn't get KAC's URX 3.1. Centurion's design is well thought out and simple.

18. Scout Light with LaRue offset mount.
    Well for one reason, its a Surefire. I've tried others and always turn tail and come back to Surefire. For indoor purposes (which if I ever do have to use it to stop someone I'll probably be indoors) the 200 lumens it puts out is about as bright as I want it.
    On a couple of the pics I have you'll notice that where my handstop is and where my Scout is on the rail there is no way my thumb could activate it. I've got an SR07 tape switch coming shortly and my reasoning for the tape switch is mainly for ease of ambidextrous accessibility and the tape switch is slightly easier for me to toggle between momentary on/off and constant on/off. That's why it's so far on the rail because I won't be using the tail cap button. Also to clear the muzzle and cut down on barrel shadow as much as possible.
    Concerning the LaRue mount: Known quality of course and I prefer the 1:30 position of the light to minimize upper barrel shadow and me being a righty it reduces my chances of blinding myself while shooting from a barricade.

19. Shaved MOE vert grip.
    I've got pictures of me shooting over the last four years and it's funny to view them chronologically. They start with me with the entire support hand on the vertical grip. Later on my thumb is pointed forward, just as one would with a handgun. As time passes only two or three of my fingers are touching the foregrip. More recently and currently only my pinky touches it. A while back Stick posted a picture of a shaved MOE vertical grip and I thought I'd give it a try. So now it's the unofficial Magpul MOE handstop.

And here are the pics:

Here are some close up shots of the shaved MOE grip:

Like I said I clocked the Battlecomp and look forward to trying it out and see where the 'dot tracks' with this adjustment.

I know pinning versus a set screw can be controversial too but I decided to use a set screw on this build and picked up a BRDE fixture for this very reason. It makes dimpling the barrel for the gas block allen screws a breeze.

Got mine here:

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1089

Bravo also has them back in stock:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BRDE-...p/brdejig1.htm

Finished drilling:

The lower I had already done. Well all I did was put in the A5, ALG trigger and MIAD. The upper I built this afternoon. I hadn't put together one in awhile and forgot how much I enjoy it.

-Jax
    Last edited by jaxman7; 06-26-12 at 21:03.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Feedback Score
    Looks good!

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Great gun and post! Thanks for the info.
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmin View Post
    Great gun and post! Thanks for the info.
    Thank ya sir!

-Jax

-Ryan Job

"Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    great post! Love all the details! Thanks

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Excellent post.
    This is what it's all about.
    Thank you Jax for sharing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Great post and love the set-up! Really good description of parts selection. I myself have been eying and researching the A5 system. The more I know the more I want it! I have many Vltor parts and they are excellent quality. Thanks for the post.

"Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Poly & fallenromeo,

I appreciate the comments. Yeh I really like to read about WHY people choose what they use so I thought I'd do my part. They're some things I'll be swapping out probably in the near future and will keep this updated and the reasons for the change. Thanks again,

-Jax

ETA: After clocking the Battlecomp on this build the results were just what I'd hoped for. Instead of the muzzle tracking down and right, now it goes straight down.
    Last edited by jaxman7; 06-25-12 at 11:03.

-Ryan Job