Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14.5" build

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

14.5" build

I guess a mod on this forum doesn't like my build, as it got buried on the "AR Picture Thread". I listed specs and posted pictures of a carbine I spent alot of time researching parts, spent alot of money to buy the parts, spent time assembling the carbine, and try to post what I built for everyone to see in the "Custom Build Forum", which as far as I can tell is the correct forum to post pics and specs of a custom build, only for a mod to delete my thread and bury the pics somewhere no one will see. I built this carbine from the stripped lower up, it is not a shop-built gun. I used YHM parts primarily because I didn't want to bastardize my carbine, that is, I like having most of the major parts supplied by one manufacturer. Since pics are already in the AR picture thread, I'll post new ones.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

I posted specs in my original thread, so I don't want to beat a dead horse and repeat myself. Basically, I wanted a "true" M4gery, so I went with a 14.5" barrel like M4s truly are. Yankee Hill isn't popular because it didn't make the "Chart", but if you do a little due diligence you'll find they fit into the "top tier" specs. I used a Spike's ST BCG only because I had it laying around, and the ALG ACT was at the gun shop when I picked up the lower, so I figured I'd try it out. The owner of the gun shop also talked me into the Spikes ST T2 heavy buffer, but I have a milspec 'H' marked heavy buffer, and interchangeably I don't notice a difference, other than the Spike's seems to quiet the action of the carbine down. I zeroed the CompM4 aimpoint red dot this afternoon, and compared to my brother-in-law's 553 Eotech, I can obtain a faster sight picture with the Aimpoint. I went with an Aimpoint sight because my brother-in-law had the Eotech, so I wanted to try something different. I like trying new things, not just buying what everyone else is.
    Last edited by RIGPIG; 06-24-12 at 21:54. Reason: spell check

Feedback Score
    I'd like some of that candy in that bowl. I could go for some Skittles right now.

So how's it shoot?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Yankee Hill barrels and bolts do not spec out the same as say a Colt, BCM, or Daniel Defense barrel and bolt does.
    So no, they are not "top tier".
    The gun store guys are full of it if they told you that.

Thank you for providing the reasoning behind your part chooses.
    Have fun shooting your carbine.

BTW: Posting a thread with a few pictures and a parts list does not belong in the custom build forum.
    Iraqgunz has a sticky at the top of the custom build sub-forum that lays out what you need to post for this particular sub-forum.
    Last edited by polymorpheous; 06-25-12 at 08:32.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score

Talking

I don't know exactly why your first thread was deleted but I do know the board mods like to have reasons behind your choices. I can't comment on YHM as I have had very little experience with them but thanks for the info. Nice looking rifle. Good luck with it.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So you zeroed the red dot, but did you get a grouping? how is the accuracy out of that barrel? I ask because YHM doesn't have the best reputation for being high quality.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
    So how's it shoot?
    Reason I asked this is I built a gun for a buddy who insisted on your exact barrel (carbine-gas 14.5 pinned diamond flute, right?)

Anyway, it was THE most over-gassed thing I've ever shot. Thing kicked like a mule. Thought the BCG was going to launch right through my shoulder. No amount of dicking around with buffers would fix it. And since it was a pinned setup with a clamp-on GB, I told him to toss the whole thing. It was that bad.

Built him a mid-length 14.5 using a high-quality barrel and receivers and parts and it was night and day, as expected.

My .308 doesn't kick as hard as that thing did, LOL.
    Last edited by Brahmzy; 06-26-12 at 10:44.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=
    BTW: Posting a thread with a few pictures and a parts list does not belong in the custom build forum.
    Iraqgunz has a sticky at the top of the custom build sub-forum that lays out what you need to post for this particular sub-forum.[/QUOTE]

Actually, as per the sticky, posting a few pictures and a completed one is all you really need to be in here. Explaining your set-up (parts list) and why you did "would be nice".

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    You've built an excellent range gun, and since you did a lot yourself you didn't overpay for something with limited capability if you decide to run it really hard. Another upside, especially if all the YHM barrels of that vintage are horribly overgassed - odds are very good it can still be useful as a carbine to digest underpowered (read - very cheap to fire) ammo.

That lower and and ACT trigger are good choices, the ACS and CompM4 are as well.

Beyond that, I'm more partial to all my mutt carbines that have parts from a minimum of 7 manufacturers each, but all of which come from the top tier makers.

If what you have need of is a good range/training carbine that can thrive on the really affordable ammunition, you've succeeded, and don't let any discouragement hold you back from doing that. Don't expect top dollar results, but for that purpose you could have done a LOT worse for the money, and importantly you now have all the experience you could want when it comes to building your own high quality rifle down the road (and read up a ton to see what parts are better suited for that and why) - once again you'll be ahead of the curve when you get to that point.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Not sure why it was moved the first time but bitching about it in a new thread is not they way to go about it. PM a Mod or Staff if you have complaints.

I'll leave this for now but tread lightly.
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wasn't bitching or whining, my thread got deleted without any reasoning sent to me, so I'm not about to "tread lightly", I said my piece and I'm done with it. The barrel shoots well, I shot 5 round groups at 100 yds to zero the aimpoint, and the best group I got was 2" shooting prone, and I figured that's as good as I'll get. I'm not the best shot with optics, I feel more capable with iron sights. As for overgassed, this carbine has less kick than my 16" factory M&P-15 gas piston carbine. This 14.5" doesn't cycle PMC either, it'll cycle Federal XM193 just fine, as well as the wally world bulk federal .223. I buy XM193 and XM855 by the 1000 rd case, its cheaper than PMC. And as I've said about YHM quality, please take the time to look at their website. By due diligence, I meant I researched YHM thoroughly, and as much as their name is run down everywhere, I could find no actual proof, nor anyone that has had a problem with them. The only part on this build that was influenced by a gun shop owner or anyone on any forum was the spikes buffer, and at $30 its not gonna make or break me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast