Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Planned hunts for this year?

Feedback Score
    I will be hunting elk with my bow this year as well as mule deer with a rifle. I hunt coyotes year round, and will also be hunting ducks, geese, and pheasants when the season starts. All in my home state of Utah.

I did a quail, chukkar, and pheasant hunt a few months ago in Dallas Texas. I'll post some pictures soon

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    I'll be hunting wyoming and hopefully utah this year (maybe Idaho). I'll be packing a CZ Upland Ultralight 12ga.

And my hunting partner will be Ace, my 16month old Brittany....

Honestly, i'll be happy to bag a bird this year since its my first. I too enjoy the process more than the end result. What state do you chase chuks in?
    Nice point there
    Brittany, a pocket pointer. Your first Brittany? They tend to be soft, be careful with him.
    16 months old... it should be all about FUN for the dog... make them love it and then pull them back in next year. I know alot of hunters don't have the patience to spend a season watching their dog (first season) bust coveys and chase birds, but it builds a passionate confident dog in the long run.

You training Ace yourself?
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    Here is a pretty cool video from my GoPro head cam of a nice rooster I shot in Texas recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCLCinQS3Ek&feature=plcp

Feedback Score
    Antlerless elk hunt here in AZ second week in December. Had to put in for the latest hunt this year because the wife is due the middle of October with baby #2. Antlerless was the only hunt that late, after a few weeks of new born I think I”ll be ready to get out of the house for a few days

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    Here is a pretty cool video from my GoPro head cam of a nice rooster I shot in Texas recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCLCinQS3Ek&feature=plcp
    Nice shooting. Are those your dogs?

M4Guru

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Fundi View Post
    I know alot of hunters don't have the patience to spend a season watching their dog (first season) bust coveys and chase birds, but it builds a passionate confident dog in the long run.

You training Ace yourself?
    He's had a couple of months of pro training. He's not perfect, and i dont expect him to be. I know its probably going to take this entire season (and maybe next) to figure out how to handle birds. Im not looking for a field trial dog. (I kinda like the way Ben O. Williams thinks when it comes to hunting dogs).

My expectations are just to have fun and enjoy it...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I know Ben. VERY knowledgeable on birds and bird habitat. The thing you have to take into account about his method of running dogs is he runs MANY dogs at once.

The best training methods I have seen and experienced is Rick Smith's Silent Command Method. Rick and his father, Delmar, are pretty much the undisputed best pointing dog trainers that ever lived. Yes, that is a bold statement, but Rick, Delmar and Ronnie are amazing. Rick is a good friend, but I am being objective.

http://www.huntsmith.com/

Nolan is on his way to being a legend. He owned, trained and handled the winningest Brittany in NSTRA history and Nolan is the most winning handler of any breed in NSTRA history. He is also a friend and all around great guy.

http://www.beelinebrittanys.com/

Rick's DVDs are very helpful, but going to one of his seminar's is life changing IMHO. Kind of like going to a Vicker's course

You live in TX? How is the quail in your area?

Good Luck with ACE
    Last edited by M4Fundi; 06-30-12 at 01:31.

M4Guru

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I dont currently live in Texas (have lived there my whole life though), I just moved a couple of months ago to Cheyenne Wyoming.

Honestly its not looking good for the bobwhites in Texas. I think the population is still ok in deep south Texas, but not so much northern half (north of abilene). I hear theres a decent number of scaled quail down in the big bend area.

Its sad, but the main reason i moved to Wy was the hunting (and weather). Plenty of birds in the state and close by, and tons of big game.

Where are you located?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I moved back to TX recently. I lived in MT for years and really miss it!

I know I'll move back there one day.

M4Guru

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I'm a Texan, so the usual white tail trips in the hill country from October through January. I usually shoot two a year, and my wife shoots one. This year suppressors are legal.

We have an Alaska moose trip planned in September for the whole month. My Dad has a cabin on the Salcha River 30 miles upstream from where it pours into the Tannana. In 2007 I tagged a 48" bull, and have not had a chance to go back due to work schedule. This year finally lined up, I'm turning 30 and hoping to either put my wife on her first moose, or shoot a caribou myself.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast