Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt assembly crud

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Bolt assembly crud

I notice after cleaning my bolt assembly, the back part of it (where it curves outward toward the rings) has a layer of hardened carbon that just won't come out. I didn't try scraping it away, but using a soft brush doesn't seem to get it out.
    Is this buildup normal? Is it important to eventually get rid of this layer of black residue?
    Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I soak it is Hoppes for a while and then scrub it with a brass brush.
    Sasquatch has taken a picture of me.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    It's completely normal.
    It won't affect function.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yes it is normal. Scrape at it with a spent casing after soaking with CLP. Also, a bit of preventative maintenance, oil the bolt liberally before & after you shoot.

It doesnt really affect anything IMO anyways.

I'm going to guess youre new to the AR scene judging from your pivot pin detent removal thread as well.

Additionally (orange search)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It is a normal issue. If you feel the need to get rid of it just soak it in some solvent and use a wire brush to get it off.

Feedback Score
    Everybody basically says leave it alone. I can't.not only does it bother me to have a still-dirty gun, the metal underneath will pitt if you ignore the carbon long enough.
    I clean my bolt tail. The crt~15 tool is what you want. Everybody sells it for $40 and nobody has it cheaper. I use the G and g tool, and the botach tactical tool plus scotch BRITE pads. I have tried every chemical there is-clp, acetone, carbon cutter, m~pro 7. Don't waste your time only the tools work. It takes me 10 minutes to get that bolt tail clean as new. I forgot to mention i bought a chrome plated bolt from stag for $55. Which helps a little but not really $55 worth of help.

Is it worthwhile to clean the bolt tail like new, to me it is! Truth be told most of the people who say don't bother are probably right
    Last edited by Markasaurus; 06-27-12 at 17:22.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like ocd to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by skd_tactical View Post
    It's a shot in the dark ... I have a better chance of guessing when my wife will be mad for no reason.
    "If your not using an aimpoint, you need to take a ****ing piss test." -LAV

Feedback Score
    Everyone is suggesting you use the search button (for this thread and your cam pin one).

But you should really watch a few instructional dvd's and sign up for a course. Both the Magpul Carbine I and Vickers Carbine DVD's have a section on disassembly and cleaning.

It is hard to explain via typing how to do physical tasks. Video is a much better medium for this sort of thing. The videos wont really make you a better shooter but will give you some idea of how the platform operates before you take a course.

The biggest issue I see (and i had this issue to when i started shooting) is that people think less lube is better. This is partially the millitary's fault as they have preached cleanliness over keeping the gun wet. 99% of shooters think they should clean their gun after they shoot it everytime. And most people think too much lube causes issues. I could take a whole bottle of mobile 1 engine oil and dump it into and onto my gun and it would run better then if i ran it dry. I believe watching pros apply oil (how much and where) is worth the price of one of these dvd's to a new shooter.

This is the Magpul disassembly and cleaning portion to give you an idea of what im talking about.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG92bvksfcA

Hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by skd_tactical View Post
    It's a shot in the dark ... I have a better chance of guessing when my wife will be mad for no reason.
    "If your not using an aimpoint, you need to take a ****ing piss test." -LAV

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies.
    I'm not completely new to the AR platform, as I've owned one for over 10 years. But I was never that into it until recently. Just not sure what an acceptable level of buildup is.
    I actually do have the Vickers carbine video, and I clean my rifle to the extent he shows (maybe a bit more detailed).
    I definitely lube the hell out of the BCG though. Most parts of the receiver, I keep just very lightly lubed.

Feedback Score
    CLP and 3M Scotch Brite pad.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest. - Confucius

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast