Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New KISS LW build

Feedback Score

New KISS LW build

Well it was past time to start a new build. I started with a stripped lower from Valkyrie Arms which I understand is made by JD Machine of San Diego. It looks good, is machined nicely and has a nicely flared magwell. I put in a Daniel Defense LPK and a BCM receiver extension kit with H2 buffer. The stock is a Magpul STR and pistol grip is a MOE+. Also I threw in a Noveske QD end plate I had laying around. I like the Valkyrie rollmark, it's fun but not going all the way to "zombie".

From Wikipedia:
    "Norse mythology, a valkyrie (from Old Norse valkyrja "chooser of the slain") is one of a host of female figures who decides who falls and dies in battle."

Next I added a BCM 16" LW midlength upper with BCG and Gunfighter Mod 4 charging handle. Added MOE handguards and an MBUS Gen 2 BUIS. Installed an IWC QD mount on the MOE. Topped it off with a cheap Bushnell TRS-25 RDS that I've had good luck with. A VTAC MK2 padded two-point sling with Vltor QD swivels finishes off the rifle.

This rifle is basically a clone of a build last year using a Daniel Defense LW 16" midlength upper (going with the 1 is none and 2 is 1 logic). So far I've only got around 500 rounds through the BCM but it functions great as expected. My wife's name is Val so I guess this will end up 'her' rifle.

Weight with sling, RDS and sights (no magazine) is 7.5 lbs.

BCM 16" LW midlength upper receiver group
    BCM Auto Bolt Carrier Group
    BCM GUNFIGHTER charging handle Mod 4 (medium)
    Magpul MOE midlength handguards
    IWC QD mount for MOE handguards
    Magpul MBUS Gen 2 Rear Back Up Iron Sight
    Bushnell TRS-25 RDS

Valkyrie Arms stripped lower receiver
    BCM M4 milspec stock kit (w/ H2 buffer)
    Noveske QD end plate
    Daniel Defense lower parts kit
    Magpul CTR milspec stock
    Magpul MOE+ pistol grip
    VTAC MK2 padded sling (not pictured)
    Vltor QD swivels for VTAC

Further explanation of parts selection and the rifle's purpose in post #4

And here's how the carbine looks (except at the time there was an STR stock and no sling).

ETA: I can see I don't want to swing that RDS lens cap over like pictured above, could drop down more and interfere with the ejection port.
    Last edited by Quentin; 07-04-12 at 00:41.
    US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Nice clean build. How do you like the stock? I have been toying with the idea of buying one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankMonkey View Post
    Nice clean build. How do you like the stock? I have been toying with the idea of buying one.
    Thanks! I like the STR a lot, it gives you a better cheek weld than the similar CTR yet only weighs 3.5 oz more. It's like a cross between the CTR and the older version of the ACS. I've seen quite a few other favorable comments on the STR and bet you'll like it. Some like the new ACS-L which is the same weight as the STR but a little longer and less cheek weld so I like the STR.

Even so, I ended up putting my CTR on this new rifle and the STR on my Daniel Defense which brought them within an ounce of the same weight. The other way made the BCM 7oz heavier which was noticeable, something I didn't expect when much of the weight was right on my shoulder. Anyway the right stock makes a real difference and Magpul is hard to beat, they give you a lot of choices at a good price.
    Last edited by Quentin; 06-28-12 at 10:14.

Feedback Score
    Sorry, I didn't do a good job earlier of explaining my choices in putting together this rifle so will add more info here.

I wanted a lightweight, high quality and reliable carbine. Using the BCM LW upper I believe I was able to achieve that. The weight with sling, RDS and sights (no magazine) is 7.5 lbs.

I'm an old guy and like a basic, lightweight rifle as I remember the Vietnam era M16. No problem with the standard FSB and flash hider so a basic upper with plastic handguards fit my requirements. The BCM 16" LW midlength URG was perfect for me. I didn't go with carbine length gas since I have two other midlengths and like the way they perform. Of course the BCM Auto BCG and GUNFIGHTER charging handle Mod 4 (medium) are pretty much default selections. This time I didn't go with hammer forging like I did with my Daniel Defense upper. This was a cost savings choice that shouldn't hurt me.

MOE handguards are a solid choice and inexpensive. I know they're not the lightest choice considering the weight of the standard FSB vs. a LW FF tube but they are strong and not overly heavy. The IWC QD mount is a great upgrade for a sling attachment. I like the VTAC MK2 padded sling I have on my Daniel Defense AR so went with another here.

The MBUS Gen 2 rear sight is good enough for a BUIS and only weighs 1.3 oz. It's tough and I like that it flips up with the small aperture ready to go unlike most other BUISes. This is my third MBUS and no problems with them. Cheap and strong, what's not to like. The Bushnell TRS-25 RDS is a little embarrassing but I've had good luck with them. No doubt I need to look at an Aimpoint H1/T1 since I like the lightweight designs. I need to do something about a light and would appreciate any suggestions.

I found the Valkyrie Arms stripped lower at my favorite LGS and the price was right at $100 plus 6.5% tax out the door with no transfer fee. The same store had the Daniel Defense LPK which I trust (third one I've used). He also had the Magpul CTR, Magpul MOE+, VTAC sling and Vltor QD swivels for VTAC. It's a good local shop and I like to throw some business his way. It was tempting to go with a BCM blem lower but I already had the Valkyrie lower and wanted to use it.

As far as the stock kit, I've used BCM before and had no reason not to again. This time I tried their H2 buffer and no short stroking even with Wolf ammo. I had a spare Noveske QD end plate so threw it on. Also I didn't use the Magpul trigger guard in the LPK, I like the old school look of the standard trigger guard. All said and done this is pretty much a LW version of the BCM MID-16 Mod 0.

Honestly this rifle isn't likely to get heavy use but it's comforting to know it's capable of hard use. That alone makes it worth a few hundred bucks more to me than a DPMS off the rack! To me quality is always worth a little more.

And thanks for all the excellent information I've found over the years at M4C! Otherwise I'd probably have a Carbon 15.
    Last edited by Quentin; 06-29-12 at 18:10.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nice parts selection. Very well thought out as well. It is almost exactly the same as my duty rifle which has tan furniture and a ctr stock. Mine comes in at 7.25lbs without magazine and topped with an Aimpoint comp m. I'm running the standard H buffer based on the recommendations from this forum to maintain reliability with all types of ammo.

It should be a good runner for you! As for lighting, I'm using a Mossie Tactics 12 o'clock with mount topped with an SF x300. I firmly believe in KISS.
    Last edited by Slvr Surfr; 06-29-12 at 18:39.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Very nice Quentin. I've been considering doing something very similar at some point in the future.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A AR Lower Made In California but those are evil there I like it though Nice rollmark

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Very nice!

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys! I think it turned out well.

Quote Originally Posted by warpigM-4 View Post
    A AR Lower Made In California but those are evil there I like it though Nice rollmark
    Yeah, funny how that turned out, and by coincidence... I ended up with stripped lowers from ban states CA, IL and MA (Valkyrie, ArmaLite and S&W). In fact the S&W was bought a few hours before MA Sen. Ted Kennedy died. My last lower was from AZ (Quentin Defense) though so there's some hope for me.

Feedback Score
    25 (96%)
    Nice build. Love the roll mark also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast