Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .300 blackout upper help

Feedback Score

.300 blackout upper help

I purchased a .300 blackout 14.5 inch upper from a well known person. It has a Montana barrel, Bushmaster receiver and BCG. I started with hand loads but they would not cycle. It will fire but then short stroke. I purchased the recommended buffer and spring that AAC describe along with factory ammo. It still does not cycle. Suppressed or unsuppressed. It is a DI setup. Any ideas as what to try next? I thought maybe the gas port on the barrel is not aligned or the hole is incorrect diameter. Does anyone have an educated idea?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    What's the gas system length? And is there any possibility that the gas block is not aligned with the gas port? Who assembled it?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I had a similar issue,and I also thought my gas block wasn't aligned, but it turns out two things were the issue: I needed to switch to a Carbine buffer, and use a BCG with the o-ring on the extractor spring.

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure of the exact length. But the barrel is 14.5. The guy who is assembled it is a former spec op man. He currently teaches sniping and other skills. I'm leaning toward alignment issues or barrel port size?

Feedback Score
    I have a carbine buffer and I'll try the o-ring I didn't do that yet. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longhorn86 View Post
    I'm not sure of the exact length. But the barrel is 14.5. The guy who is assembled it is a former spec op man. He currently teaches sniping and other skills. I'm leaning toward alignment issues or barrel port size?
    Have you asked him? Most people who assemble an upper will test fire it.

Gas system length should be fairly obvious as either pistol or carbine. Carbine on a 14.5" 300BLK is probably marginal.

I have two 16" 300BLK uppers with carbine gas, both run perfectly with supersonic loads (I haven't tested any subs). I have not added an O-ring to the extractor on either one, although I didn't check whether the BCG might have been assembled with one originally (LMT bolt in DSA upper, DD bolt in my own build).

Feedback Score
    It's a carbine length. I also have a H2 buffer and a carbine buffer spring. I followed the AAC website recommendations for the upper. I am trying to get up with him he's out of town till next week.

Feedback Score
    If carbine is marginal, what would you recommend?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You can start with normal troubleshooting.

Check the bolt and carrier for any binding.

Try a known good carrier out of an AR that functions well.

Use one round in the mag and check for bolt hold open.

Feedback Score
    I have a Ruger 5.56 I'll try that BCG and check for binding. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast