Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9mm 1911 - Rock Island, STI Spartan?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I own a RIA "tactical" 9mm 1911 and it is a fantastic gun for the money. That said, I plan on ordering an STI Trojan 5.0 within the next few months to use as my long term competition gun.
    Last edited by S391; 11-14-12 at 10:30.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a RIA tactical 9mm 1911, and I've been more than happy with it. Initially had several problems. 300 rounds later, and a new magazines, and she has been flawless for the last several hundred rounds. The finish will come off with use, but I plan on duracoting later anyways. Even seems to work with the original magazine now.

I don't think the STI is much "better," especially considering they are made both made in the philipines and this one is mainly a range toy, but YMMV.

A nice way to get into the platform without spending an arm and a leg. Good magazines aren't cheap, either.
    Last edited by Texas42; 11-14-12 at 10:42.

Feedback Score
    I've never played with the RIA but I did buy a STI Spartan in .45 when they were first introduced. I hated that gun. Very poor fit, barrel was really thin-walled and would not feed hollowpoints. I did have a STI Trojan in 9mm that I regret every getting rid of. Very nice gun and well made.
    Last edited by zander; 11-15-12 at 13:58.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I tried a 9mm RIA tactical, it couldn't get through a whole mag without a malfunction. Sold it and gave up on the concept.
    The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. - Ayn Rand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My RIA tac runs fine with ball, and with the included Checkmate mags feeds HP without a problem. The $40 Wilson mags on the other hand only sometimes feed HP's. Other then that issue sucker runs like a top, very accurate.

-Jenrick

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    For $369.99 plus FFL transfer and applicable tax I'd say this RIA is worth a shot. I'd get one but don't have the cash at the moment.

Fullsize 1911 9mm Rock Island

Feedback Score
    I've been looking into a.1911 in 9mm as well. Been leaning more towards the sti doesanyone know of any other 1911s in 9mm that is similar to the sti?

Feedback Score
    I really like my old Colt 70 series. It was one of the reimported ex Israeli police guns. Cost me 650 bucks. If you are patient and willing to search high and low they are out there. Worth the extra money compared to a foreign gun and you can always get your money back out of it later.

Feedback Score
    I hate that I had to sell my RIA 9mm Tactical last year, that was with the old logo. The gun shot fantastic and was I never had malfunction with it.

I still have a handfull of 9mm ETM's and Metalform mags...I will have another 9mm 1911

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12