Thread: Price difference between 15T and N4

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Price difference between 15T and N4

Hello all! I am a newb here so I thought I should introduce myself. I am Austin in Texas and have an affinity for tactical shotguns hence the screen name. I post under this screen name mainly in the Tactical Group at ShotgunWorld, but also at Rimfire Central.

I believe it is time for me to add a good quality AR to my collection of pistols, rifles and SGs, all shooters, no safe queens. It will be mainly used for casual target use, but will also be used in case of a SHTF situation.

I have owned and used guns for over 50 years including small game hunting and casual target shooting with both rim-fire and center-fire pistol and rifle. I have also shot skeet and trap extensively. I am not LEO or active military, but did serve in the Infantry from 66 to 72, which gives you a pretty good idea of my generation. All that said, let me ask a newb question.

I was all set to buy a S&W M&P 15T yesterday but while doing some final research on this site and others I discovered the Noveske N4 Low Profile, which appears to this newb to be clearly superior to the 15T. I realize this is subjective and I am the only one who can make the final decision, but just how superior is it?

Before you answer, please let me put my question in context - I can buy a new 15T locally for $1,175 minus the $100 rebate netting out at a very attractive $1,075. The best price I am seeing so far on the N4 is $1,900. I figure the sales tax vs the shipping and FFL transfer is a wash, so is the N4 Low Profile superior by $825?

I read the differences between the 2 and recognize the N4 is the superior build but I don't know how to judge the difference in price. Again, I realize this is subjective and I am the only one who can make the final decision, but I am hoping to learn from your experienced perspectives. I am willing to spend the extra $ if the value is there. Thanks to all that reply.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by austin12gauge View Post
    Hello all! I am a newb here so I thought I should introduce myself. I am Austin in Texas and have an affinity for tactical shotguns hence the screen name. I post under this screen name mainly in the Tactical Group at ShotgunWorld, but also at Rimfire Central.

I believe it is time for me to add a good quality AR to my collection of pistols, rifles and SGs, all shooters, no safe queens. It will be mainly used for casual target use, but will also be used in case of a SHTF situation.

I have owned and used guns for over 50 years including small game hunting and casual target shooting with both rim-fire and center-fire pistol and rifle. I have also shot skeet and trap extensively. I am not LEO or active military, but did serve in the Infantry from 66 to 72, which gives you a pretty good idea of my generation. All that said, let me ask a newb question.

I was all set to buy a S&W M&P 15T yesterday but while doing some final research on this site and others I discovered the Noveske N4 Low Profile, which appears to this newb to be clearly superior to the 15T. I realize this is subjective and I am the only one who can make the final decision, but just how superior is it?

Before you answer, please let me put my question in context - I can buy a new 15T locally for $1,175 minus the $100 rebate netting out at a very attractive $1,075. The best price I am seeing so far on the N4 is $1,900. I figure the sales tax vs the shipping and FFL transfer is a wash, so is the N4 Low Profile superior by $825?

I read the differences between the 2 and recognize the N4 is the superior build but I don't know how to judge the difference in price. Again, I realize this is subjective and I am the only one who can make the final decision, but I am hoping to learn from your experienced perspectives. I am willing to spend the extra $ if the value is there. Thanks to all that reply.
    You have already figured out that the N4 is using much better components (specifically the barrel). The N4 barrel is really what drives this weapon above many others because of its rarity, longevity and accuracy.

For me, things that are important in a fighting weapon are, M4 Barrel extension, M4 feed ramps, 1/7 twist, accuracy, 556 NATO chamber and a quality BCG.

So is the N4 worth the extra money? That is really personal opinion and it really depends on what is most important to you.

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    You have already figured out that the N4 is using much better components (specifically the barrel). The N4 barrel is really what drives this weapon above many others because of its rarity, longevity and accuracy.

For me, things that are important in a fighting weapon are, M4 Barrel extension, M4 feed ramps, 1/7 twist, accuracy, 556 NATO chamber and a quality BCG.

So is the N4 worth the extra money? That is really personal opinion and it really depends on what is most important to you.

C4
    I am in the same basic situation now. Before, I had pretty much made my mind up to go for the N4 Light Low Profile, but then I learned that most of the earlier issues with the 15T have been ironed out. I can get the 15T for substantially less than the N4 (about $1000 after the rebate vs. $1900) which means more money for a quality optic and ammo among other accessories. My plan now is to go with the 15T and add a Noveske 16.1" Recon barrel group later on. At $490 that still puts $400 in my pocket vs. the N4. Another plus is that I would really prefer the 16" barrel and the N4 Light is only available with a 14.5" barrel. I believe adding the Noveske barrel will bring the two a lot closer since most of the differences have to do with the barrel itself. Just my $.02 that's worth less than what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    The Noveske is the better quality carbine. It is smaller, lighter, and made from better components. Only you can decide if it is worth the extra money to YOU.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Great news today! The .gov is going to help me buy whichever rifle I finally choose with a tax rebate check. Yippee!

Thanks for all the great advice guys, I really appreciate it. Right now I am swimming in information overload and need to sort everything out. I am heading down to SA for awhile to do some kayaking and get the heck out of this central Texas cedar pollen. You'd have to live here to understand. Hopefully I will the rifle figured out by the time I get back. Thanks again!
    Last edited by austinN4; 01-24-08 at 15:50. Reason: typo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by austin12gauge View Post
    Great news today! The .gov is going to help me buy whichever rifle I finally choose with a tax rebate check. Yippee!

Thanks for all the great advice guys, I really appreciate it. Right now I am swimming in information overload and need to sort everything out. I am heading down to SA for awhile to do some kayaking and get the heck out of this central Texas cedar pollen. You'd have to live here to understand. Hopefully I will the rifle figured out by the time I get back. Thanks again!
    Awesome. Now if you are not a member of the Austin Rifle Club its time to join! Nothing like a lot of range time with a new rifle. And when your ready some carbine matches will be a good add to your pratice. Shoot me a pm if you are not a ARC member and want to visit before joining.

Ps I'm waiting for my bonus $$$ to order my N4 basic!

Topher

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    As already stated for the two rifles in question, I'd go with the N4.
    John Noveske knows what makes a rifle tick. You won't be unhappy with the N4.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)