Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Storage

Feedback Score

Home Storage

I'm going to order an AR15... first time gun owner. I was thinking of getting a Pelican case and double locking it with two padlocks.

Something like this:
    Pelican Case

A large gun safe is out of the question at the moment. Any other suggestions or would this be a good solution?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Stack On gun cabinet. Reasonably secure from kids and curious, but not resistant to a thief with a crowbar and not fireproof. OTOH, it fits well in a closet, simple for one person to move around, and at $109, that plus a nylon carry case is going to be cheaper than a Pelican case.

http://www.amazon.com/Stack-On%C2%AE...on+gun+cabinet

Feedback Score
    If you don't have room/need for a safe- I would just get a high quality trigger lock for the rifle and keep it in a tactical type gun case. The pelican, while nice, is heavy and expensive and won't keep a thief from making off with it.

Cases on sale all this month at midwayusa for $19.99! Add a trigger or even action lock (cable that goes through ejection port/mag funnel and locks) and your all set.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939...with-6-pockets

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Go for closed cell foam in picking your case if possible.

Feedback Score
    I agree with the stack on cases if you bolt them to a wall. I have talked to companies that sell gun safes and they seem to think no matter how big the safe is if people want to steal a gun they will... I have even heard of someone taking a chainsaw in someones house and cutting the safe out.. Only thing better than seeing someone doing that is seeing their face when they open it up and see it was empty with no guns in it lmao.. anyways like stated either a stack on safe or a good sturdy case will do the job. No need to get a really expensive pelican one that would just be one more stack of cash a robbery would love to take.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frag Out Inc View Post
    I agree with the stack on cases if you bolt them to a wall. I have talked to companies that sell gun safes and they seem to think no matter how big the safe is if people want to steal a gun they will... I have even heard of someone taking a chainsaw in someones house and cutting the safe out.. Only thing better than seeing someone doing that is seeing their face when they open it up and see it was empty with no guns in it lmao.. anyways like stated either a stack on safe or a good sturdy case will do the job. No need to get a really expensive pelican one that would just be one more stack of cash a robbery would love to take.
    some of the locking cabinets also have holes in the bottom. In addition to running bolts to wall studs, a pair of tapcons in a concrete foundation will help also. While it may not prevent theft, it at least buys some time.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing lunch, Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Rather than buying a cheap metal box that the average meth head can defeat with common hand tools sourced from your own garage, I'd rather see you secure a heavy fastening point to a closet stud with one way lag screws, then cable lock the weapon through the mag well and ejection port with something sturdy (e.g. Kryptonite product).
    Last edited by opdsgt; 08-12-12 at 22:24. Reason: typo
    "On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died." -Adlai E. Stevenson II

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by redone13 View Post
    Go for closed cell foam in picking your case if possible.
    I've pulled all the foam from mine and use a nylon soft case inside. They provide divided storage for odds and ends and still hold two carbines.

For the OP. Buy a safe. It doesn't have to be the biggest or the baddest, just be sure to bolt it to the floor or a wall.

Feedback Score
    You can also remove the bolt carrier for extra piece of mind and store it somewhere else in the house..
    Average thief won't have a clue on why the weapon won't function if he does make off with it.

Feedback Score
    Bolt the stackon case to the floor and wall and you are good to go. Burglars can make off with that Pelican case. I have a pelican case and it is great, but that is for mobile security, not stationary security.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast