Thread: Question about barrel instal procedure

Feedback Score

Question about barrel instal procedure

I'm installing a 300 BLK barrel today onto my BCM stripped upper. I'll be mating it to a 10" spikes BAR handguard.

Here's my question. When installing the barrel, I am planning on using a borrowed vice block from my LGS. It's the clams shell type. I don't believe that they have the plastic insert for the vice block.

I know in theory it's to prevent the upper from being crushed if one were to apply to much vice pressure.

Is it absolutely necessary to use this type of device? If so I'll delay the build and buy my own tools so that I can have 100% piece of mind.

I have seen boobtube videos both ways with and without the insert during barrel installation.

But I want to do it right, this is my first complete build from the ground up...not just assembling a stripped lower.

If it is necessary could you perhaps instal the BCG minus the bolt part way into the receiver to minimize crushing, twisting, or other unwanted forces onto the upper?

Any help would be greatly appreciated gents!

I'd really like to finish this build 100% myself (minus BCM BCG assembly) without a gunsmith stepping in...it's a point of pride. I'm an engineer professionally, and I know it's something I'm capable of doing...I just wanted some added input from other SME's before proceeding!

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There was just a big thread about how to select the right barrel vise or block or whatever. It was pretty recent.

I like the pri block the best that attaches at the pins or on a rail on a flat top. I've found it to be just fine for me. I didn't look into a barrel vise because I had the opportunity to tour a VERY well respected mfg and they did not use barrel vises, they used clams and a pri-style that attached on the rail. I signed an NDA before the tour so mums the word on their name, but I think they know what they're doing.

As long as the barrel goes on to the correct torque and nothing breaks, do whatever works. You're bound to get 1000 answers on the "right" way to do it.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by !Nvasi0n View Post
    I'm installing a 300 BLK barrel today onto my BCM stripped upper. I'll be mating it to a 10" spikes BAR handguard.

Here's my question. When installing the barrel, I am planning on using a borrowed vice block from my LGS. It's the clams shell type. I don't believe that they have the plastic insert for the vice block.

I know in theory it's to prevent the upper from being crushed if one were to apply to much vice pressure.

Is it absolutely necessary to use this type of device? If so I'll delay the build and buy my own tools so that I can have 100% piece of mind.

I have seen boobtube videos both ways with and without the insert during barrel installation.

But I want to do it right, this is my first complete build from the ground up...not just assembling a stripped lower.

If it is necessary could you perhaps instal the BCG minus the bolt part way into the receiver to minimize crushing, twisting, or other unwanted forces onto the upper?

Any help would be greatly appreciated gents!

I'd really like to finish this build 100% myself (minus BCM BCG assembly) without a gunsmith stepping in...it's a point of pride. I'm an engineer professionally, and I know it's something I'm capable of doing...I just wanted some added input from other SME's before proceeding!

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Either block is fine.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 07-03-12 at 12:42.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes, use a vice block. Like grant said, either. But the plastic insert is to keep it from derforming when you torque the barrel nut down. Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I like to use a bit Saran wrap around the upper just to be on the safe side of scratch prevention.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Don't worry about the insert. You are not gling to be able to apply enough torque to damage it. If you do, then fire the 500 lb. gorilla and get a chimp.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Don't worry about the insert. You are not gling to be able to apply enough torque to damage it. If you do, then fire the 500 lb. gorilla and get a chimp.
    Hahaha!!!! Thanks gunz I really was stressing this build hard. It is my first ground up build. I did everything except the bolt...thanks Grant!

I really stressed it wayyyy to much. It really was too easy.

Once I got all my tools in order and my head out of my ass, it came right together.

Now that I did one myself, and I've got all the tools, and the skills...I'll never go back.

Thanks for the help!