Thread: Replacement of LR springs

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Replacement of LR springs

I'm planning on replacing the commercial buffer tube with a mil-spec one on one of my ARs in the near future and had a question. Is it a good idea (or even necessary) to replace the takedown detent spring and buffer retainer spring when I replace the tube or are those springs generally good to go and not something that wears out? Same with the selector detent spring when replacing the grip?

Did a search and didn't find anything specifically relevant to the spring replacement. Never heard of those springs wearing out, but haven't seen or read everything in my life. Sorry if it's a silly question.

Receiver is a Windham marked Bushy produced around 2006. Relatively low round count and sat in storage for over four years.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Necessary? Absolutely not. You would be good to go, however, I personally would keep a few of these on hand. These springs are good to have around. Especially if your ejector starts losing its compression. Same spring as used in takedown/pivot.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KrampusArms View Post
    Necessary? Absolutely not. You would be good to go, however, I personally would keep a few of these on hand. These springs are good to have around. Especially if your ejector starts losing its compression. Same spring as used in takedown/pivot.
    No, its the selector spring which is the same as the ejector spring. Not the takedown pin spring.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    No, its the selector spring which is the same as the ejector spring. Not the takedown pin spring.
    Thank you for the correction, appreciate it.

Apologies are due to the community for spreading false information, I thought I was sure about. I Stand corrected.

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't bother replacing them, at least not right now. Swap your receiver extension and you're good to go.