Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New 3 Gun SG Mossberg 930, Benelli M2 or FN SLP?

Feedback Score

New 3 Gun SG Mossberg 930, Benelli M2 or FN SLP?

I need some heavy 3 gun advice. For 3 gun and Shotgun competitions I've been using either my Remington 870 or Benelli Super Nova 18 '' pumps and am tired of getting outgunned by higher capacity semi auto's. I borrowed and ran the Mossberg 930 Jerry Miculek Pro 12ga 24" 10 Shot 85118 in a competition this past weekend and liked it a lot. My question is there a reason to spend $1100 - $1200 for the M2 or FN SLP when the 930 JM can be had for less than $600 new? What is better or worse for each?
    This would be almost exclusively a 3 Gun, and competition gun and maybe some clay's. Since having 1 malfunction during a competition isn't much fun reliability and durability are my main criteria.
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I have an SLP, and if I had it to do over I would probably go with an M2. The SLP needs a bit of work to be competitive and reliable in 3-gun.
    Can't speak on the 930JM.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I have an SLP, and if I had it to do over I would probably go with an M2. The SLP needs a bit of work to be competitive and reliable in 3-gun.
    Can't speak on the 930JM.
    Thanks, I really like the Benelli M2 3 gun version but it's close to $1800 but haven't shot it or the SLP. I've heard about the heavy / light change for SLP's and wasn't crazy about that. Really want 1 gun that will run light bird, heavy buck and slugs with no changes and total reliability.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I'm sure this one is probably gone already, but it would be my choice: http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=104211

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'd base your decision on how much you plan to shoot 3-gun. If this is going to be once-a-month and maybe one major match a year go with the Mossberg. If you're going to to fill your weekends with matches and make several major matches in a year get the M2. I've seen a couple Mossbergs pop up at matches and they seem to be fine shotguns for what they cost. With the Benelli you have a proven system and outnumbers any other shotgun at a match if that tells you anything. As for the SLP I think the price is too close to the M2 so you might as well buy the M2. Also, how do you reload your shotgun during the match?? If you load strong hand you won't have to get the shell lifter welded but if you're a weak hand and like your thumb you will want to get it welded so that is something to take in to consideration as well. Good luck!!

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by danish View Post
    Also, how do you reload your shotgun during the match?? If you load strong hand you won't have to get the shell lifter welded but if you're a weak hand and like your thumb you will want to get it welded so that is something to take in to consideration as well. Good luck!!
    Good point, I use a weak hand reload and yes after a bit of practice the thumb begins to leaves its skin in the shotgun, but it does take a while. As what I would call a social three gunner my 1100 with the required work does the trick. On the other hand the M2 is a bad ass gun to have, and would get my vote..
    Keep your eyes peeled I saw one here for just over $900 not that long ago..
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    Thanks, I really like the Benelli M2 3 gun version but it's close to $1800 but haven't shot it or the SLP. I've heard about the heavy / light change for SLP's and wasn't crazy about that. Really want 1 gun that will run light bird, heavy buck and slugs with no changes and total reliability.
    Whoops I missed this sorry.

It will be difficult to find an auto loader under budget that will run everything you want.... Keep in mind what ever you get including the M2 you will be doing some investing ( tubes maybe some beveling, etc)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've been running a Remington Competition Master 1100 for the last couple years. I acquired it in a trade and really can't say nothing bad about it besides being fincky with lighter ammo. Would I like to upgrade?? Sure but it's serving it's purpose until it goes tits-up then I will probably get a Benelli..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    SLP. I love mine. You don't need to change pistons unless you are shooting 3"....the light piston is good to 1.5oz of shot/buck/slug.
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by danish View Post
    I've been running a Remington Competition Master 1100 for the last couple years. I acquired it in a trade and really can't say nothing bad about it besides being fincky with lighter ammo. Would I like to upgrade?? Sure but it's serving it's purpose until it goes tits-up then I will probably get a Benelli..
    Have a smith open the gas ports a little, mine now runs 2-3/4 3 dram light loads like a champ... be careful with the heavy loads though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast