Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Interview with Chris Costa about the 870.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Good Interview with Chris Costa about the 870.

Found this on the web. Not sure if it's been posted before.

http://www.rem870.com/2012/04/27/ful...h-chris-costa/

Feedback Score
    25 (96%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankMonkey View Post
    Found this on the web. Not sure if it's been posted before.

http://www.rem870.com/2012/04/27/ful...h-chris-costa/
    Good read. Kind of interesting to see why he left Magpul. Of course it makes sense.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Edwards View Post
    Good read. Kind of interesting to see why he left Magpul. Of course it makes sense.
    Yeah that kinda sucks for him, still he managed to keep a level of professionalism when speaking on it.

Feedback Score
    Great interview. I like his idea on a handgun instead of a shotgun for Home defense

Feedback Score
    Interesting read. One thing though... He makes it sound like anytime you shoot a long gun with irons that you must close your non- dominant eye... WTF?? I can't be the only person who shoots iron sights with both eyes open.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Interesting read. One thing though... He makes it sound like anytime you shoot a long gun with irons that you must close your non- dominant eye... WTF?? I can't be the only person who shoots iron sights with both eyes open.
    I saw that reference to closing an eye, too, and thought it was odd. I'm right-handed and right eye dominant. I keep both eyes open when shooting handguns (always iron sights), any long gun with rear peep and front post, long guns with open rear and post front, long guns with red dots, long guns with scout scope, long guns with low magnification conventionally-mounted scopes, all the preceding from either shoulder, and shotgun with only a front bead from the right shoulder. As a new shotgun shooter, I'm still working on training my brain to allow me to keep both eyes open when shooting a bead-equipped shotgun from my left shoulder. I don't want to limit my peripheral vision in any serious situation by closing an eye if I can avoid it.

Other thoughts on the interview:

I agree with his comments about the value of a squared stance with a fighting shotgun and also about the shorter stock. I run Hogue 12" LOP stocks on both my 870s and find them much more amenable to good fumble-free gunhandling than the OEM 14" LOP stocks. Interestingly, the pics accompanying the interview don't depict the use of a squared stance. My guess is that Mr. Costa didn't pick the pics.

I agree with his comments about handguns versus long guns for home defense. If one has to move around while defending the home, IMO a handgun with light makes a lot of sense. If one can fight from an ambush position, then a shotgun or rifle would IMO be preferable.

I wonder if his comments about the desirability of the Vang Comp system were more valid before the introduction of Federal's buck loads with the FliteControl Wad and Hornady's Titewad loads.

I don't really understand his comments about older 870s allowing the shooter to begin racking the slide faster than a newer 870. If he was talking about generally greater slickness associated with higher round counts in older guns, then okay I get that. And yes I understand that Wingmasters and 870P models are slicker out of the box than an Express model. But it sounded more like that he was addressing an unspecified change in the design at some point that results in a need to hesitate after firing before racking, to prevent a stoppage. My two 870s are both Express models (model 25077)made in the last seven or eight months. Each has about 450-550 rds through it, and each is noticeably slicker than when brand new. I can notice no need to pause before racking the slide to prevent a stoppage with either gun. Can anyone set me straight on this?
    Last edited by oldtexan; 07-08-12 at 19:58.

Feedback Score
    On some of the 870's if you have rearward pressure on the forend during and after the trigger press it wont allow you to cycle the action until you back off a little. It really messes with rhythm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapsandwich View Post
    On some of the 870's if you have rearward pressure on the forend during and after the trigger press it wont allow you to cycle the action until you back off a little. It really messes with rhythm.
    Thanks. Have you noticed that this affects only some years of production? Is it just a random thing that affects some guns and not others in the same year? Is it fixable?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post

I understand your point but I also get his. I am one of those weirdo's that cannot shoot long guns accurately at distance with both eyes open-just one of those things. Close range isn't an issue, just further out.

Feedback Score
    Anybody catch the pics from the ooooollllllddddd "Power series" book on SWAT?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast