Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New 3 Gun SG Mossberg 930, Benelli M2 or FN SLP?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Cannot speak about the m2 or slp, but have owned the JM 930 22" version for about 4 months. As far as reliability, it had around 200 rounds of mixed shotshells and slugs, only problem were 2 wally world shells that had solid primer hits but did not ignite. Don't think it was the 930's fault, but just ordered 500 rounds of better stuff from graf. It feeds low powered target loads with no hiccups.
    I did do some tweaking, some needed some ue to ocd. Initially pellets and slugs were hitting really high, so replaced front bead with taller one, problem solved. Shell lifter was chewing my left thumb so i tore it all apart and cratexed the sharp points, plus opened the loading port, which was already beveled, and no more thumb bite and it feeds more smoothly. The trigger was somewhat creepy and pull was about 4.5 lbs. Some mild stoning and polishing and its a smooth, short 3.5 lbs, no overtravel thanks to factory installed overtravel screw in trigger guard.
    I have only recently started 3 gun, shot 3 to date, and did not want to invest the typical $1100 for a big name sg, so the 930 made sense. From what i've read on brian enos' forum, all the factory guns need some tweaking; ports opened, lifters welded, extended mags, etc. For the money the 930 is a good deal, and can get the job done.

Mark

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mpom View Post
    Cannot speak about the m2 or slp, but have owned the JM 930 22" version for about 4 months. As far as reliability, it had around 200 rounds of mixed shotshells and slugs, only problem were 2 wally world shells that had solid primer hits but did not ignite. Don't think it was the 930's fault, but just ordered 500 rounds of better stuff from graf. It feeds low powered target loads with no hiccups.
    I did do some tweaking, some needed some ue to ocd. Initially pellets and slugs were hitting really high, so replaced front bead with taller one, problem solved. Shell lifter was chewing my left thumb so i tore it all apart and cratexed the sharp points, plus opened the loading port, which was already beveled, and no more thumb bite and it feeds more smoothly. The trigger was somewhat creepy and pull was about 4.5 lbs. Some mild stoning and polishing and its a smooth, short 3.5 lbs, no overtravel thanks to factory installed overtravel screw in trigger guard.
    I have only recently started 3 gun, shot 3 to date, and did not want to invest the typical $1100 for a big name sg, so the 930 made sense. From what i've read on brian enos' forum, all the factory guns need some tweaking; ports opened, lifters welded, extended mags, etc. For the money the 930 is a good deal, and can get the job done.

Mark
    I'm about 95% sure I'm going to pull the trigger on the 930 JM on Friday. I found the 9+1 for $549 with free shipping and my FFL does transfers for free. All things being equal I would go with the M2 but at over 2x price that's a tough pill to swallow for a game toy. Positive this will be a speed upgrade (and capacity) over my SuperNova and 870. Once I'm at a level (if ) that the difference between the 930 and M2 would be the difference between winning and not I will upgrade.

Feedback Score
    If you're referring to the deal at Palmetto, there's some confusion about what it is exactly. Description says 10 shot, meaning 9 shot mag tube, but the part number they state is for the 8 shot mag tube version. Be careful.

I'm interested too, but waiting for clarification.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    I'm about 95% sure I'm going to pull the trigger on the 930 JM on Friday. I found the 9+1 for $549 with free shipping and my FFL does transfers for free. All things being equal I would go with the M2 but at over 2x price that's a tough pill to swallow for a game toy. Positive this will be a speed upgrade (and capacity) over my SuperNova and 870. Once I'm at a level (if ) that the difference between the 930 and M2 would be the difference between winning and not I will upgrade.
    Keep in mind that you can add a Nordic XXL cap to the 22" and get 9+1, if capacity is what you're after with the 24".
    “All falsehood is a mask, and however well made the mask may be, with a little attention we may always distinguish it from the true face.”

State of Franklin Training Group

Feedback Score
    I would take a hard look at the Remington VersaMax. If it is good enough for Daniel Horner, it is probably good enough for you. I can't say my VersaMax is a better gun that the M1 Benelli that I shot with for about 10 years but it sure kicks less.

IMHO all shotguns suck and will fail you, it is just a matter of getting the least sucky one as possible.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly neal View Post
    IMHO all shotguns suck and will fail you, it is just a matter of getting the least sucky one as possible.
    Amen.
    The shotgun, IMO, is the fail point of multigun.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Amen.
    The shotgun, IMO, is the fail point of multigun.
    Double Amen if your fumbling around reloading a lower capacity pump and 90% of everyone else is using higher capacity semi auto's. I pulled the trigger for the 930 JM Pro 9+1 from Palmetto State for $549 with free shipping. Appreciate everyone's input - will see how the 930 does - the 1 I shot ran great but that was 1 match so we shall see.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Same story; ran an ithaca pump for 3 matches, super slow and spinners would not spin with fixed cylinder choke.
    You are getting a great deal on a hard to find sg. Enjoy.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Let us know how it works out for you. I am exactly where you are, I shot in my 1st 3 gun last weekend using my 590A1 and got smoked.

I held my own with pistol & rifle but the high cap auto sg's killed me. I was just looking at the same 930JM (along with the FN) last night & would love to hear how it performs for you!

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Please update when you get some rounds through the 930. I am also looking at the 24" 9+1 model as I am just getting into 3 gun shooting and want to keep costs down. I plan on running my 5+1 500 for my first match as it's my only shotgun.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast