Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New 3 Gun SG Mossberg 930, Benelli M2 or FN SLP?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBecker 72 View Post
    Please update when you get some rounds through the 930. I am also looking at the 24" 9+1 model as I am just getting into 3 gun shooting and want to keep costs down. I plan on running my 5+1 500 for my first match as it's my only shotgun.
    no Heavy Metal Div. you can shoot in
    C Co. 509th ABN/PFDR
    83-85

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prc77 View Post
    no Heavy Metal Div. you can shoot in
    I don't have a .45 or 7.62 though. 9mm and 5.56 only.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    I need some heavy 3 gun advice. For 3 gun and Shotgun competitions I've been using either my Remington 870 or Benelli Super Nova 18 '' pumps and am tired of getting outgunned by higher capacity semi auto's. I borrowed and ran the Mossberg 930 Jerry Miculek Pro 12ga 24" 10 Shot 85118 in a competition this past weekend and liked it a lot. My question is there a reason to spend $1100 - $1200 for the M2 or FN SLP when the 930 JM can be had for less than $600 new? What is better or worse for each?
    This would be almost exclusively a 3 Gun, and competition gun and maybe some clay's. Since having 1 malfunction during a competition isn't much fun reliability and durability are my main criteria.
    Thanks!
    If those are your main concerns:
    Get a Benelli M2 with either a 21" or 24" barrel and save yourself some headache at a match.

ETA: Full disclosure, I shoot professionally for Benelli so the perception for bias is there, but I as well as my team also ran Benelli shotguns before they picked us up so, there you go.
    John Noveske Changed My Life.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I have ran a remington 1100 tac4 for 2 years, with no problems. I just moved up to an SLP MK1. 2 matches in, and it's been 50/50... It didnt run for shit on the 1st match, but the 2nd it ran great. It needed to brake in I think. But I'm going to buy a 930JM, and a M2 to try them out... I say if you dont like what ever you buy, then sell it and get something else...
    Last edited by quirino21; 07-09-12 at 17:54.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold View Post
    If those are your main concerns:
    Get a Benelli M2 with either a 21" or 24" barrel and save yourself some headache at a match.

ETA: Full disclosure, I shoot professionally for Benelli so the perception for bias is there, but I as well as my team also ran Benelli shotguns before they picked us up so, there you go.
    Do you know Katie (Noveske / Benelli team)? Know her as well I shoot at her dad's range in some of the competitions.

At $549 total I couldn't pass on the 930 JM Pro vs $1500 for the M2 with Mod's. I will give this a good go and if I hit a point where I think the 930 is limiting me I will sell and upgrade.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Do you know Katie (Noveske / Benelli team)? Know her as well I shoot at her dad's range in some of the competitions.

At $549 total I couldn't pass on the 930 JM Pro vs $1500 for the M2 with Mod's. I will give this a good go and if I hit a point where I think the 930 is limiting me I will sell and upgrade.
    Yes I know her well. She is the third member of The Noveske Shooting Team (my teammate). She is the poster child for shooting an inertia driven 12ga.
    John Noveske Changed My Life.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    OP I'll be interested to hear how the 930 works out for you. They recently started a 3-gun match at a range about 1.5 hours from me and while I haven't made it to one of their matches yet it's on my list of things to do. The shotgun portion has been part of the reason I haven't bothered. If it turns out there's a $600 option vs. a $1500 option I'll be way more interested.

I agree with F2S. The problem with 3-gun is the third gun.
    Last edited by rob_s; 07-10-12 at 04:10.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Another to consider is the Remington Versamax tactical. Its more of a 3gun ready shotgun than a true tactical shotgun with its 21" barrel. I've only had a few hundred rounds through it but so far its been 100% reliable, soft shooting and fast.

Probably can't go wrong with any of the shotguns mentioned in this thread. Just have to decide what features you need and how much customizing you want to do in the future.

I was ready to go the M3 route until I handled the Versamax and decided to give it a try. Already comes with a extended tube and oversize bolt release button.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    OP I'll be interested to hear how the 930 works out for you. They recently started a 3-gun match at a range about 1.5 hours from me and while I haven't made it to one of their matches yet it's on my list of things to do. The shotgun portion has been part of the reason I haven't bothered. If it turns out there's a $600 option vs. a $1500 option I'll be way more interested.

I agree with F2S. The problem with 3-gun is the third gun.
    I received the Mossberg 930 JM 9+1 model this afternoon from Palmetto State Armory. I took it home and lubed it with Weapon Shield. It was surprisingly light and I'm used to 18 1/2 '' pump guns. For some reason the gun looked shorter than I expected and I double checked that they had sent the 24" inch vs the 21" (it was the correct 24").

It started raining but I got a couple of boxes of Federal birdshot through at clay's and a few slugs through all flawlessly. Also rapid fired a tube full of birdshot at a yellow jacket nest (they didn't like that much). Gun ran and fed flawlessly; accuracy was good but didn't get a chance to pattern it.

For $549 total I'm real pleased with it. Will followup with more info after I get some volume through it.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I received the Mossberg 930 JM 9+1 model this afternoon from Palmetto State Armory. I took it home and lubed it with Weapon Shield. It was surprisingly light and I'm used to 18 1/2 '' pump guns. For some reason the gun looked shorter than I expected and I double checked that they had sent the 24" inch vs the 21" (it was the correct 24").

It started raining but I got a couple of boxes of Federal birdshot through at clay's and a few slugs through all flawlessly. Also rapid fired a tube full of birdshot at a yellow jacket nest (they didn't like that much). Gun ran and fed flawlessly; accuracy was good but didn't get a chance to pattern it.

For $549 total I'm real pleased with it. Will followup with more info after I get some volume through it.
    Did you just lube it, or do a thorough breakdown, cleaning, and lube?

A couple of things to check. With the gun empty, press the bolt release with just enough pressure to send the bolt forward to make sure it doesn't bind on the shell carrier. Then make sure the carrier isn't bent, because if it is, it will feed the shells diagonally into the chamber and jam the gun. Expect to have random failed ignitions with Wal-Mart Federal bulk-pack shells, as in dented primers but no bang. This will most likely happen during matches. It may not happen with your gun, but both my 930 SPX and JM 930 do it, and threads at the Enos forums include more than a few posts from others with the same problems. I switched to Winchester and so far so good, but I haven't had a chance to run very many (~100) through the JM yet to see if the gun will have the same problem with the Winchester shells.
    Last edited by bulbvivid; 07-16-12 at 19:00.
    “All falsehood is a mask, and however well made the mask may be, with a little attention we may always distinguish it from the true face.”

State of Franklin Training Group

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast