Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rem 700 CDL SF -or- Win Model 70 Featherweight

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Another point to consider is that the .300 will reduce mag capacity to 3 rounds instead of 5 for a standard bolt face cartridge...if that matters. The .300 will cost a lot more to shoot and will wear the barrel a lot faster than one of the standard (take your pick) cartridges such as .308, 7-08, .30-06, .270 etc.

The .300 is a great cartridge for long range shooting, but the rifles usually have heavy barrels and stocks, along with high magnification optics.

The .308 shines because of the availability of excellent and accurate factory loads and rifles. Other notable characteristics include its accuracy, its long barrel life and the fact that it has enough power to use for any game in the lower 48. It comes close to the mythical "do it all" type of cartridge.

As for which rifle...a Remy or a Winchester, I favor the Model 70 for its design characteristics...flat bottom, integral recoil lug, field strippable bolt, etc.

Feedback Score
    Man, that guy at the store talked about how much he loved .300 and recommended it over everything and showed me the Elk he said he shot at 700 yards with it. Then again, he's probably half my age so I guess I should have asked someone closer to my age.
    I'm going to shoot the .300 and see if they have a .308 and 7mm-08 I can try out while I'm at it to see which one I like. I won't be putting a lot of rounds down range with whichever one I end up getting, so barrel life isn't really high on my priorities.
    Seeing that the .300 has more recoil than my .32 Spl has me a little concerned...I just put a pachmayr recoil pad on that one, so I'll see how much difference that makes on that one...I love the big bang, just not the bruised shoulder from the metal buttplate.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Is this for target shooting or hunting or?

If you are using it for hunting elk in the mountains then a LTWT 300 or better 300WSM is the BeesKnees, but if you are target or competition shooting then get a 260 or 308 or something.

The 300WM was my go to rifle for work and I carried it almost daily and loved it, but it was the right tool for the job.
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The Winchester is far and away the better rifle.

But .300 is going to be a hard kicker for most shooters.

Feedback Score
    The Winny has a better safety. The Remmy has a better barrel.

Now that W70s are FN made the wood is kinda plain.

I would hit the Remmy in that caliber. I have both models in my safe. The Remmys have better accuracy odds than the Winnys.

Both triggers can be great. Old Winnys were EASY to adjust.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Erik I have seen some great wood on the higher end FN guns. I doubt the Remington will consistently be more accurate, I have yet to hear of a Winchester from FN that won't put three rounds of something it likes under an inch. It's hard to beat that.

Feedback Score
    I have really only put my hands on pre production and early production weapons of the M70. My rifle is a New Haven gun. My Remmy is a 2010.

I take my R25 to the stand more often because I just like it. My other go to is my M70 because I am a huge fan of the 270WSM.

Feedback Score
    I picked up the Win 70 .300 WSM today. I put 9 rounds through it. It has a good kick, but not as bad as I thought it would, in fact, my 1894 .32 Spl hurt more. I put a pachmayr pad on the 1894, and it made a huge difference. I just ordered one for the 70 today. The biggest downer I see to it so far is the cost of the ammo.

Now I just need to get it zeroed. It was shooting a little low and left, but I didn't have the time to get it dialed in. I wasn't using a stand, so that may have been part of the problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12