Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 118 years on active duty

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

118 years on active duty

M94 Swedish Mauser. Still in daily use by the Royal Guards

Note the rifles are loaded with live ammo during duties.

My copy:

Last edited by wild_wild_wes; 07-05-12 at 01:11.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thats pretty cool. What do they guard?
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    They guard the Swedish Royal Family in their palace in Stockholm.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    What's not to love about the old Mausers? Simple, elegant, and functional - they are a great action.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Cool. I have some M96 and M38 but no M94...

ETA: interesting that they have turned-down bolts, while the M96 did not (the M38 again introduced that). I guess that the M94 was a cavalry carbine compared to the infantry M96.

When I was in Stockholm, I missed the palace. Wish I had seen them. That was 22 years ago. Will have to go back one of these days.

Så bra är det.

--
    Last edited by chadbag; 07-12-12 at 15:56. Reason: ETA
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    Thats pretty cool. What do they guard?
    Haha!
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    In the third picture down from the top, (up close of the guys on horseback showing the rifles on their backs), the rifles appear to be cocked. I wonder if there is a round in the chamber.

Feedback Score
    WOW thats a long time. Hope they don't have to defend against AK's any time soon.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrmettler View Post
    In the third picture down from the top, (up close of the guys on horseback showing the rifles on their backs), the rifles appear to be cocked. I wonder if there is a round in the chamber.
    No way to tell. Cock on close without pulling the trigger will look the same whether a cartridge is chambered or not. At least the safeties appear to be on.

At least theirs don't have the silly bbl extension our import laws used to impose (sorry Wes).

Mine has an older style sling, passing through the stock to lie on the left side of the carbine. It's not original, but was cadged together by a previous owner from a M96 sling to look like the original. I have not seen any reason to change it. (Wes, is yours original?)

I wonder where I might find a sling like theirs?

And Wes, thanks for the photos. I did not know the M94 was still in service.
    Last edited by Amicus; 07-14-12 at 13:13. Reason: Spelling and stuff
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    and when you're done using them to protect royalty you can convert them to a hell of a nice little thumper. (M94, .45acp conversion, custom black walnut stock, Timney trigger, Troup Systems 1911 mag conversion, 16.5" barrel. Launches 185gn JHP at 2000fps with 50K psi loads, .460 rowland brass cut to .888).

Yes, I have all the stock components, no permanent mods. The rifle was originally bubba'd so I didn't feel bad about converting it.
    Last edited by r3dn3ck; 07-15-12 at 10:02.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast